Chapter Nine

Hello!! Sorry I’ve taken months, literally, to update; I was writing a fanfiction for my friend for Christmas (see my profile) and everything’s been crazy, naturally. So! Merry Christmas to all of you! This is your gift from me – hope you enjoy it, sorry again for the long wait! Hope you all have a blessed New Year full of good memories! :) All right, enough Hallmark moments. Please fan/vote/comment and all that good stuff as a little gift to me.

Gracias!! <3 vb123321

Chapter Nine

♥         Astrid       ♥

The day was chaotic even before we left the basketball game. It started with the screaming McCormick family waking me at an early hour. I was used to sleeping in strange places, so I hardly thought twice about being on a basement floor with Josh five feet away from me, curled up in a Boy Scout sleeping bag. His hair was all in his face and he looked more peaceful than I had seen him in a long time.

It wouldn’t last.

Joel’s game was at ten, but he had to be at the gym at nine, and the McCormick family was in shambles. Courtney was complaining because she had a dance recital to go to that she claimed was much more important than the game, and Beth was agreeing with her, saying she didn’t like watching “stupid boys playing a stupid game, anyway.” Their parents looked frazzled, which didn’t seem to be too unusual for them, and after a quick shower and a bite to eat, I took matters into my own hands, offering to drive Joel to the game with Josh and leaving the others free to go to the recital.

Angie McCormick looked like she could’ve kissed me, asked Joel if he would be crushed if they didn’t go to his game – he shrugged it off – and then went on to remind him to eat a good breakfast if he wanted to perform well. He didn’t look like he needed any more energy; his hair was practically static with excitement and he was bouncing on the balls of his feet just standing there in the kitchen. It would have been annoying except for the fact that I was feeling too relieved that he hadn’t been traumatized by what we had told him the night before.

It was only when we had finally taken leave of the house, Joel had finished griping about the fact that he would probably never get his own car like we had, and we were cruising down the road that I relaxed. It had been late when I had finally gotten to bed, and while I had slept in worse places, the basement had been a bit chilly. Now, though, freshly showered and with a good, homemade breakfast in me, I felt like I could face anything.

Boy, was I wrong.

My hair fell around my shoulders and down my back as it dried, feeling strangely heavy; I couldn’t remember the last time I had worn it down. I was still in the same pair of jeans, sweatshirt, and jacket from yesterday, but something about changing your t-shirt really makes you feel fresher. Josh was in the same sweatpants and sweatshirt as well, his hair a curly mess above his forehead. He was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, humming some incomprehensible tune as his eyes flicked around in one-eighty surveillance. Training had long become second nature.

Joel sat in the backseat, chattering away about absolutely nothing, his leg jiggling tirelessly on the floor. He kept running his hands through his pale blonde hair, making it even more erratic, as if this would impress someone. All he could talk about was the game and how they were going to kick the other team’s ass, and how he hoped to see some girl play right before him. It was actually sort of pleasurable, hearing him prattle on endlessly; it felt normal. It was a Saturday morning; I was driving my neighbor to one of his basketball games.