Chapter Twenty-Nine

I’m sorry, I should’ve warned you I would be updating the next freaking day, I didn’t mean to scare you guys. Chances are if you’re reading this you didn’t see the notice that I updated Chapter 28 yesterday so GO BACK AND READ CHAPTER 28 IF YOU HAVEN’T!! that’s very important. It was a Josh POV, if that helps you remember if you did or not. Thank you! So yeah, here’s Chapter 29 (only 2 more after this!!) and I’m gonna upload 30 on Tuesday and the epilogue on Wed or Thurs, just as a warning. I did say I would quickly. Okay, thanks, and please enjoy this chapter, and vote and comment loads :)

Gracias!! <3 vb123321

Chapter Twenty-Nine

♥         Astrid       ♥

I was still in that cell, still tied down on the board as the cloth covered my face and water dripped onto it. I was still drowning, still suffocating from the onslaught of images that were rushing through my head. Only just managing to keep it together, I convinced the doctor that I was healthy enough to leave the hospital room the morning after Josh visited me, although in reality I had never felt worse. He looked like he was sympathizing more than agreeing with me as he checked me out of the hospital wing.

“Come back if your arm or head starts to hurt,” he said as I left the room without looking at him. I made an acknowledging gesture in his direction and turned down the hallway, the whiteness even brighter in the fluorescent lights.

My mind was wandering, heading towards that hospital room whose silence was broken only by the beeps of machines that were lending life to his body – no, to Charlie. I wanted to go see him, I wanted to sit at his side until he woke up and talked to me, even if it took forever and ever, but I didn’t know where to go. An agent coming down the hall informed me that I wasn’t allowed to be meandering around the hospital unsupervised and directed me to a room where he said Josh and Joel were.

It took me several minutes to find it, since I was so spaced that I had difficulty following the directions. When I did, I stood in the doorway and looked around at the desk, wooden chair, couch, and armchair that filled the small office-like area. Josh was seated in the armchair, tapping his fingers on the armrests and saying something to Joel, who was sprawled on the couch with a bored look. As I stood looking at them, they registered my presence and turned to face me with identical expressions of surprise.

“Astrid!” Josh sprang to his feet, grinning as he came forward. He made as if to give me a hug, catching himself just in time and saying, “How are you?”

“Better,” I replied, relieved that he hadn’t gone for the awkward tact that he had the night before. “Doctor finally let me go.”

“That’s good.”

He was looking at me closely, clearly wondering if I were about to go to pieces or something, but I didn’t meet his eyes, instead looking over at the couch and Joel. He looked so much like his brother that it made my throat burn and something jump in my stomach, even though I had thought about Jay’s words. Fourteen or not, emotions were difficult to get rid of. Joel’s blue eyes flickered up to my face, and though I could still glimpse some anger and confusion and grief in them, I was pleased to note that there was a gleam of humor as well.