14. NO ESCAPE

Chapter 14: NO ESCAPE

***************************************************************

Alex's POV:

**************

It was the night of the engagement party.

And despite the fact that I've evaded planning most of it, I didn't even think of being absent. Not only because it would break my brother's heart but also because mom would probably have a stroke.

I didn't try something too crazy with my outfit, it was a simple, floor-length, sleeveless, purple dress paired with black strappy not-too-high heels.

And by the time I got to the Black's mansion, the party was in full swing. Lights and lanterns tastefully decorated and lit the entire house as well as the huge front yard lawn. Music was enjoyable without being overbearing, there was a dance floor under the chandelier where people swayed to the songs being played with drinks in hand.

The crowd was bigger than what I expected, clearly, I shouldn't have expected any less from mom. My eyes didn't have to scan the crowd too long for familiar faces, because Kate was waving at me like she was high, she probably was.

I walked towards her, also smiling at the group of people she was standing with, that consisted of Sam and her brother. "Oh my god Alex you look wow." she complimented.

"So do you," I said, admiring her blue dress, and her slightly curled long blonde hair.

"Wait, let me check..." Another voice said and I looked at Sam who was checking to see if he still had his socks, "I was pretty sure you knocked my socks off."

Kate giggled like it was a hilarious joke, while Matt gave him a flat stare and I frowned.

"That may be, but someone's definitely gonna be surprised." she wiggled her brows, definitely hinting at Jensen.

I tried not to blush, "Not counting on it..." I mumbled. And then looked at Matt and audibly gasped. "Look at you, wearing a bespoke suit, this must be killing you!"

"I'm pretty sure my sweatshirts called me a traitor this evening," Matthew said. "Sacrifices Alex..." He mumbled. "We all must make them."

"Stop making it sound like you just gave a limb to save someone's life..." Kate interjected, "You're just here for the food."

It was true, Matt was a gourmand, and he'd go anywhere, do anything for food.

"Hey!" He sounded offended. "I just appreciate good food alright, especially because your cooking sucks..."

Kate scoffed, "You appreciate food? You...As in someone who doesn't know the difference between yams and sweet potatoes!" And soon, the Winters siblings were bickering non-stop. Sam seemed alarmed, but when Kyle called him, he swiftly made his escape after giving me a quick salute.

Kyle and Jenny were standing, talking to a group of people, looking happily engaged as they were, Jenny looked beautiful in her floor-length maroon dress, her hair was styled in a unique up-do with soft tendrils framing her heart-shaped face, Kyle looked starstruck, so in love and like the happiest man on earth. I decided I'll go meet them when they both were a little less busy.

The ambience of the party was welcoming, Mom has really outdone herself this time, I noted as I looked around. When I scanned the crowd and found a face I wasn't expecting, I did a double-take... Will?

A couple of days ago when Jenny passed me a few invites and told me to invite all my friends, I could only stare at her cluelessly. In the end, I couldn't even think of five people I wanted to invite. Most people I knew were already invited anyway. Nick, Morgan, Will and Kate were the people I decided on, and then realised Kate had gotten her invitation already and when I gave Will the invite, he looked at me like I gave him a hand grenade.