Chapter Nine | Birthday Girl

Ember had just gotten back from her morning shower when she noticed Holland was surprisingly awake and dressed. She had on a bright yellow sweater, it almost reminded Ember of a sunflower with how bright it was. Her jeans were light-washed and her socks were light pink.

The blonde was at her desk drawing orange along her eyelids. She was finishing her makeup when she looked over to greet Ember. Pink and orange lined her eyes, her skin clear enough to see all of her bold freckles.

"Happy Birthday! Get dressed, I'm taking you out for breakfast, don't worry I will have you back way before your first class," Holland spoke. She was braiding her hair, in a half-up, half-down style that made Ember mesmerized as she watched the silky blonde hair.

Ember wasn't really sure why Holland was so persistent about doing something for her birthday, the day was just the same as others. The emerald-haired girl shrugged and figured she'd just cave and go along with it. After all, it was only breakfast.

She headed over to her closet and threw on her favorite pair of ripped jeans, a forest green t-shirt, and one of her Bakugo hoodies.

Holland finished her hair and grabbed her shoes before they both headed out of the dorm.

On the way there Ember got a text from Ryan wishing her a happy birthday and making sure she knew what time he was picking her up for dinner.

Part of Ember thought he was kinda disappointed when she told him that was all she would agree to. No party, no trip, nothing. She didn't want to go out and do something crazy for her twenty-first birthday, even after he offered several trips to wherever she wanted.

Ember only shut down all the ideas, she told him they could have dinner somewhere, but nothing more and definitely no surprises. The last part was more or less directed to Carmon, who offered to take Ember to a "titty bar" as she did for her own twenty-first birthday.

Then there was the whole conversation about the gifts. Ember told everyone not to get her anything, yet they always did. She was grateful for them, however, she genuinely wished for once they'd just listen to her.

Ember was just one of those people who disliked their birthdays. It was never anything special to her and after Caterina died she wanted nothing to do with anything. Everything reminded her of Caterina and it still did.

She pushed her thoughts away and did her best to focus on the blonde who was making light conversation about some of the people at her work. Ember walked alongside her listening intently to the voice that kept her from getting lost too deep in thought.

The restaurant wasn't far from their building and it was kinda cute, it reminded Ember a bit of the coffee shop Holland worked at.

There was a rustic and modern aesthetic about the place, all the while staying warm and comforting like most coffee shops or cafés were. There was a glass counter that showed off all the amazing baked goods, most of which looked sweet and delicious.

Ember looked around the place kinda shocked, she didn't know it existed until five minutes ago and she already loved it.

"Come on, let's get our table," Holland grinned.

The blonde took Ember's hand and let them over to a table near the wall of different colors of stained glass, it looked similar to a close up of a mermaid's fins. The blue-greenish colors matched perfectly with one another.

Holland handed over a menu that was already placed on the table, something Ember always enjoyed when restaurants did that.

Looking over the menu she found it difficult to pick, there was everything from plain coffee to coffees Ember only trusted others to make.