Chapter Seventeen | Much Worse

The second time Ember woke up she wasn't alone.

She didn't even remember falling asleep again, nor did she know how she felt about seeing the two people she hated the most in the world. Hate wasn't even the right word to describe either of them.

Before Ember could go down that road she had remembered that she was no longer alone. The dark-haired boy next to her passed out and tied like she was. His hands behind his back and tied to the chair. For a moment Ember thought if he woke up they could untie each other, however when she saw the zip ties and locked chains she shook that idea away.

She felt a wave of emotions go through her in a matter of seconds. She was angry, sad, and scared, but for the most part angry.

Karter was out cold. Ember strained her eyes to see in the dim lighting to see the way his shirt clung to his side. It was as if there was something there like he was bleeding, but from what Ember didn't know.

Even if she knew it was impossible Ember tried to get the restraints off her wrists, just enough to get closer to him and make sure he wasn't dead.

Nothing would budge.

Instead, she ended up nearly falling onto the floor taking along the chair with her. Thankfully she managed to steady herself enough before she heard the sound of the door opening once again.

Yesterday or what Ember assumed to be yesterday considering the light was less bright this time. She could only make out the person's silhouette. When the feminine figure walked closer followed by the taller and broader figure Ember wanted to sink into a hole.

She wanted the world to swallow her whole.

Want the fuck do you cunts want? She thought seeing their faces.

None of this made sense. She lived years without having to see or deal with either of them. There was no reason for them to do this to her and especially Karter.

Why the fuck was he here?

Ember wanted so much to just scream at them. She had no reason physically stopping her other than the small fact she hadn't used her voice for a little over five years. It would just come out weak and pathetic.

It was pointless anyway.

"My dear, it hurts seeing you like this," she paused, taking a lock of Ember's hair and twirling it before moving on. "-but it must be done, it worked out even better not only did I get you but I got his new play toy."

She looked over to Karter's motionless body before she kicked him awake for a second.

"We should get double for this, get the picture from both their phones and send it to him along with what I said. Then get rid of the phone so the bastard can't track us."

With that, Ember watched the spawn of Hell walk out of the room leaving Greg to take the pictures.

Ember was confused. She didn't understand why they were there and it must have shown on her face. She looked up with a glare, Greg grinned and winked at her.

"What you didn't know?" He laughed.

Turned his focus fully on her looking at her with the same cruel face he normally showed. "Your dad is fucking your best friend," he chuckled before she saw a flash of the camera.

Δ Δ Δ

Karter woke up what Ember assumed three or four hours later. He was groggy but he seemed awake. She didn't feel like having the emotions to care if he was seeing Ryan behind her back or not. She already knew if she actually thought about it.