Chapter Twenty-Three | Winter Wonderland

Ember kicked half the covers Holland insisted on having on the bed, off. She wasn't sure what time it was but Ember could hear the sound of muffled complaints by Karter as the front door to the cabin was being closed and his voice cut off.

Every year Ember and Ryan-sometimes Carmon-would go to a cabin in the woods and spend a week or so out there. No work and limited internet access in the snowy mountains to end December and start the new year.

However, this year was different.

It wasn't just them.

Ember invited Holland and Venus then when Carmon realized that little fact she invited herself along. Ryan asked if Karter wanted to go and to see if Flynn was interested. So they all went.

They packed in a day and rented a nice cabin in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. The cabin was a mile away from anything and anyone.

Ember loved the city a lot, but going out in the middle of nowhere was a peaceful change.

She looked over at the bright light from the snow and slowly started to shine through the curtains. Ember wiggled her way out of Holland's arms. She threw on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts she was pretty sure she had since she was sixteen.

Carmon was on the couch a mug of tea in her hand. "Good morning Em," she said with her back to Ember.

Without questioning how Carmon knew it was her, she walked over to the kitchen and searched through the cabinets until she found what she needed.

Carmon walked over to the small bar that looked into the kitchen. 'Good night?' Ember asked.

"I feel like I'm a sixteen-year-old again. Then again you look like you had fun too," Carmon took a sip of her tea.

Ember knew she had a few marks on her neck but she didn't really mind.

Flynn joined them and Carmon told him where the tea was.

'Holland and I are going snowboarding later if any of you want to join,' Ember signed.

Flynn was starting to get an idea of ASL without anyone having to translate for him anymore. "Is it bad that I only want to go to watch Karter fall in the snow?"

Ember laughed. 'I mean, it would be funny.'

"Oh I love you glasses boy," Carmon laughed.

Ember made a quick breakfast and took Holland's up to her. She opened the curtain letting the room be painted with bright orange light.

"Holland," Ember leaned down.

Her voice was getting much better, however, she still felt like it was a foreign concept to speak verbally.

The blonde woke up soon after Ember mentioned she had food.

"I think Carmon and Flynn are joining us," Ember added. She talked slowly as if questioning her own voice.

Holland nodded. The blonde couldn't help but feel honored that she was able to hear her girlfriend's voice and the vulnerability of it that Ember had picked her to do her vocal exercises with. Holland knew it wasn't as easy as people might have thought.

She was proud of Ember.

"Venus will probably go too. If not I'll just have to blackmail her," Holland muttered.

While Holland ate Ember grabbed her clothes and picked out what Holland should wear as well. The blonde had a habit of adding too many layers.

Ember grabbed a pair of joggers and kept her t-shirt she pulled on earlier. Bright socks that would be hidden by snow boots before they left were pulled on. A hoodie, snow pants, and coat were added to the pile Ember had for when she left.