Chapter Fifteen

Frank sat in the dark theater, the black and white film flickering on the screen and her fingers greasy from the buttery popcorn. In the movie, Harlow played the part of Carol Clayton, the daughter of a horse breeder who loses Brookdale, the horse farm that has been in the family for generations due to his overwhelming gambling debts. Although engaged to a millionaire, Carol is determined to pay off the bookie, played by a young and handsome Clark Gable, and win back the deed to the farm on her own. Frank was entertained by the movie, and there was no doubt after seeing Jean Harlow in action that the woman was indeed a blonde bombshell. She quickly put to rest a single notion that she harbored any resemblance to the shapely and beautiful young actress, however. If she herself was insane, then Jacob was clearly off his rocker.

After about ninety minutes the lights in the theater lifted and everyone shifted in their seats, stretching, gathering their belongings and talking to their companions about what they'd just seen.

"Not a bad way to spend a snowy Saturday," Jacob commented as he wrapped a soft caramel colored scarf around his neck. Frank noticed that his lashes were still tinted a darker shade than they had been the first time she'd seen him, although he'd successfully scrubbed the other makeup from his face. It really was a shame. He was incredibly handsome.

"You are completely untrustworthy do you know that Jacob Riley?" she accused.

"Untrustworthy?" he asked in surprise.

Frank wiped her greasy hands on an already stained napkin and tucked it into the empty popcorn carton. "First I think you're some highly educated and well-employed man, not to mention hot and available, showing some interest by inviting me on a date, and then you tell me I look like Jean Harlow to sweeten the deal."

"You do," he said.

"Oh, I do not. You had me all excited about the fact I wasn't going to have to suffer through a vegetarian pizza. Then I show up at your apartment to find out you look better in an evening dress than I do, and that you and your 'roommate' are much more than that, and perfectly suited for one another to boot." The words came out in a flurry of frustration as she climbed back into her coat. "I mean look at the two of you for crying out loud. You couldn't be more adorable if you tried."

Curtis' teeth shown white in his bearded face as he smiled. "She's right," he said. Jacob quickly turned to him with an affronted look. "I mean about us being adorable, not the untrustworthy part."

The theater was emptying out quickly, and Frank cast her glance around the spectacular lobby again as she deposited her trash in a bin. Snow was still falling outside, and the day had given way to evening. The air was crisp and cold as the three of them pushed out of the double doors.

"Thanks for the movie," she offered half-heartedly.

"How about dinner?" Jacob asked. "There's a great Italian place just a block away."

Frank turned and shook her head. "Is it really just a block away?" she said, her breath puffing around her face in a white cloud.

"What?"

"Or is it more like three or four?"

"Oh, dear," Curtis said, his smile still in place but not nearly as wide. "Jacob, you've gone and hurt Frankie's feelings. Just look at her. She's a sad and dejected panda bear with those eyes."

"Now how is that making things any better?" Frank wanted to know. She tightened her coat around her and stuffed her hands back into the thick red mittens she'd stored in her pockets.

"She's awful cute, don't you think?"

"That's what I've been telling her," Jacob said with a pout.