Chapter Seven

Frank grabbed one of the plastic shopping baskets from the front of the store and walked through the heavily perfumed soap and lotion aisle. She picked up several candles, sniffing them before either putting them back on the shelf or depositing them into her basket. She chose between a dizzying array of body sprays and bubble baths, flavored lip glosses and wearable glitter gels. The bottom of her basket was completely hidden with scented goodies before she found herself near the roped off space in the back.

She'd been trying to keep her mind off the fountain and the fact she'd seen it wink at her earlier. The thought had crossed her mind that she'd suffered more than a concussion when she'd fallen. Brain damage? Probably not, but something was going on. Although her memory was still foggy, she seemed to recall having a conversation with someone right after she'd taken the plunge. For some reason, the stone image of Aphrodite played fuzzily in her mind. Frank brushed that off as a ridiculous notion.

"Statues don't wink," she quietly scolded herself. "And they sure as hell don't talk."

"Some of us do," she heard as her fingers brushed against the smooth cup of a bright turquoise bra.

Frank turned her head to the left, her eyes moving around only to see an array of bras in nearly every imaginable color.

"Do not," she muttered.

"Do, too."

She turned her head to the right, but all she saw was more bras.

"I'm going insane. What other explanation could there be? I'm going stark raving mad."

"You probably will eventually, but I don't think you're there quite yet."

Frank whirled around and saw no other shoppers standing around the fountain. She took a tentative step closer to the plastic chain that hung between two poles and spotted the chip her forehead had taken out of the stone scallop shell.

"Okay, so I did whack it pretty hard."

"Yes, you did."

"Can anybody else hear that?" Frank asked looking around again.

"No. Just you."

This time Frank saw the lips of the statue move and she froze in place.

"Do that again."

"Do what?"

"Holy crap."

Frank felt her knees weaken and she faltered.

"Whatever you do don't fall down again," the statue advised. "Come closer."

"What?"

"Step over the chain."

"Why?"

"Are you always this difficult?"

"Really?" Frank's voice was just above a whisper, but it had reached an abnormally high pitch.

"You need to come closer. It's dry in here now. You won't even get your feet wet." The statue's face seemed to shimmer as she spoke. She remained the color of milk and her movements were fluid. Her voice was disembodied, as if it were coming from inside the base of the fountain instead of from human vocal chords. Frank sucked in a quick breath as the goddess reached two smooth, white hands out to her. "Stand beside me but do it quickly. There's no one here to see you, but that will change."

Almost convinced that she was losing the last bit of her sanity, Frank did as she was told. She set the basket down and stole a quick glance into the main part of the store before she stepped over the chain. In another few seconds she'd climbed into the dry fountain and was looking up into the statue's face.