New World

Lexy sat in the cafeteria at the Lab, sipping tea and filling out yet another form. She'd been tested by many people, from Earth and elsewhere, and was found devoid of meta abilities. Then the Alien Placement Office (APO) interviewed her for hours Their agent asked if she would relocate to another state. She replied she wanted to stay in Metropolis while the Lab searched for a way to return her to her Earth. She was given an allowance that would cover and room and board, plus most expenses. Barry found her a position in the cafeteria working with supplies. She thanked him and took it. She could have been working as a janitor, or moping around her new apartment.

The cafeteria personnel were friendly, and used to aliens. It was hard to think of herself as an off-worlder. Metropolis was like a strange New York City, and this Earth seemed like an amusement park Earth, with actors playing superheroes and villains. She kept reminding herself that the dangers were real here; Superman existed; she was far from home, and a stranger from another planet. Just like Superman. Except I'm ordinary.

She finished the last form and stretched.

"Hello, Lexy," the familiar deep voice said. "Oh, it you, S—she turned and smiled, wanting to be sure she was speaking to Clark and not Superman. Clark stood there, holding a cup of coffee, looking better than Superman in a dark suit and white shirt, unbuttoned at the collar. He was tall, rugged, handsome, and she felt safe around him. Maybe she just needed to see a familiar face.

"Hello, Clark. Want to sit down?

He smiled and took the seat next to her. "How are you doing?"

"I think I'm ok," she said. "Barry got everything set up quickly. I'm just a regular human, not a hero type.' Clark smiled. "I've got a job here and the APO is giving me a temporary allowance. Barry says it's too soon to find out how to send me home, but he thinks the chances are good within the year." She grew pensive.

"I know you're anxious to get back to your life." He leaned a little closer. "Is there some important reason you want to get back quickly? A husband, or a career? Something you have planned there?"

"No husband or boyfriend, Clark. But, well, my niece has leukemia. I was to donate bone marrow for her this August." She looked at her empty cup, then at Clark. "I love the girl, and I want to help her. You and Barry have been kind, but this is a strange place. Interesting, but strange, and I miss my family. Mom, my sister, Pris, and her daughters, Bonnie and Brenda. Brenda is the sick one." She looked around."

Clark patted her back. No boyfriend. Why do I like that? "I wish I could help you get home. I lost all my family and my world when my parents sent me here, except for Kandor and my cousin. It was the best thing that the Kents adopted me."

"There's no Kents here for me." She looked at him sadly. "I'm not a cute, lost baby that people want to take in. I'm getting a lot of help, though, and I should manage. Thanks, Clark, you've helped so much already."

"I have news that might cheer you up. Perry wants an article about you. You'd get a fee for writing it. I can co-write it with you, if you like." She nodded, feeling guilty about the chance to see more of him. She'd never felt so safe as when she was around him, even in a strange city on a strange world that shouldn't exist. "You're the only alien with your background, and it's a special interest story."

The cafeteria workers opened the line and people hurried in to get dinner. Clark said, "Want to join me for dinner? We can talk more, and get acquainted."

"I've got to stay in the Lab tonight. They don't want me wandering Metropolis getting lost or running into trouble."

"Sure, the food here is pretty good. I'll ask Barry if I can take you around the city tomorrow. It's Saturday, so I don't have to go to the office. Start getting information for the article. I may know a room you can rent. Barry said you could stay here, but it's kind of institutional, you'd be lonely." She didn't tell him she'd been lonely in New York and South Carolina. "You've got time to decide."