Homeward Bound

One of New York's Finest patrolman shone his flashlight around the grassy spot by the pond. The woman had disappeared, leaving only the smell of ozone, and a comic book, one of those picture novels. He picked it up. Superman. The cover showed Lois marrying Lex while claiming to love Clark and Clark renouncing her forever, while holding hands with Lana. He'd take it back to the station. If no one claimed it, he'd take it home. He liked a good Superman novel.

*

When the worlds stopped, she lay on the sidewalk in Midtown Park, Metropolis. She gave herself a moment to adjust, and got to her feet. She picked up her belongings and crossed the street to the Park Hotel, standing where the Plaza stood in her world.

The night was cloudy and dark. She asked the doorman for the time, for her cell phone didn't work here. Four-seventeen AM. She asked if there was a phone she could use inside. He held the door for her, and she went to the desk. The manager let her use the desk phone. She called Clark but the phone rang and rang. She called STAR Labs, but the building was almost deserted for the holiday weekend. She left a message for Barry and Emil. The manager let her sit in the lobby until morning. At sunrise, she thanked him and left.

It was a long walk downtown to STAR Labs, but Clark's number at the Daily Planet now belonged to someone else.She got the night operator who assured her he no longer worked there. His cell phone message center was full. She wondered if he'd gone to Smallville. It started to rain again, and she put up her umbrella. She walked past the theatre district and several more blocks to Star Square, the Metropolis answer to Herald Square in New York City.

She rested for a while. The sun was well up and she was hungry and tired. She checked her purse. She didn't have any money for Metropolis. She looked around for a place she might sell some of her off world items as alien novelties. They wouldn't bring much money, for alien imports were common, but she might get enough to get a cab to STAR Labs and something to eat while she located Clark.

A policeman directed her to a small shop specializing in Earth and off world gifts. She sold several coins, some paper money, and a postcard from Pris with a US stamp for $100. She hailed a cab. Soon she was at STAR Labs. It began to rain heavily, and faint thunder sounded.

She signed in and wrote down the time: 8:30. She walked across the lobby to the elevators, looking up at the three levels that formed the open lobby to STAR Labs. She went to Barry's office. No one was there, and she didn't see anyone wandering the halls. She tried Emil Hamilton's number, but the answering message said he would not be in on the holiday and could not be reached.

*

Clark followed Barry and Emil into the transport lab. They waited while the Maelstrom strengthened and moved over Metropolis. Clark had made his goodbyes to his parents, Larry and Kara, if this worked. Since this world believed Superman was dead/lost, no one would think his leaving was related.

"About another hour of storms, Clark," said Emil, reading a screen. "Earth1 breach hasn't opened."

"Sure," said Clark. "Is this the last of the Maelstroms?"

"The last of any significant ones," Emil said. "Your last chance to return to her."

Clark took a deep breath and forced himself to relax. He'd have to accept whatever the outcome was. He decided he'd return to Smallville, at least for a while. Family, home, but no Lexy. He'd finish that novel and dedicate it to her.

*

In the cafeteria Lexy got tea and a sausage biscuit. She was starving but too anxious to eat much. She sat at an empty table and picked up an old  newspaper someone had left. She flipped through the sections and found the front page. Large headlines announced that Mayor Luthor had donated $10,000,000 to Metropolis City University for a for a new gym. She folded the paper to the bottom half and read, "Superman Dead. Phantom Zone Threat Ended."