After

A light rain fell during the night before the first Saturday in May, but by 12 noon the sun was shining through wind-blown, white clouds in a blue sky, and humidity was low. The temperature was 70°, and a slight breeze was blowing in the small park across from Smallville Community Church.

The wedding guests lined up along the path, as the newlyweds, Clark and Lexy Kent, walked through the doors and stood on the porch. The breeze lifted Lexy's veil and tulle train, and they floated gently up. Jimmy Olsen snapped pictures of them. Lexy turned and smiled at Clark, and he kissed her, as Jimmy snapped more pictures.

Lexy picked up the short train of her dress. Clark led her down the two steps to their guests.

Martha whispered to Jonathan. "I'm so glad they decided to get married here, in the church we were married in, all those years ago."

Jon blinked back tears, and said, "Our boy is home now, and has a wife to share his future with, just like I had from that day." Martha kissed him.

In a few minutes the limo drove away with the newlyweds, and the guests followed to the Kent farm, for the reception.

A white tent stood by the few apple trees in the yard, blooming in pink and white. Soon the guests were seated around a dance floor. A wedding luncheon, catered by Pete's company, offered steak, salmon, or chicken. Clark and Lexy sat on a dais with Jonathan, Martha, Pete (Best Man), and Lana (Matron of Honor). Her three children and Larry were bridesmaids and ushers.

After the meal a quartet from the Astras tuned up and Clark and Lexy walked on the dance floor for the first dance--their first dance. The band played their song, "Be My Baby," and Clark took Lexy in his arms. She stood still, looking up at him, and whispered, "This dance is our first dance as husband and wife, my dearest."

He danced off, and she followed, and said, "Then let's make it the best dance, the first of many best dances, beloved."

The End