CHAPTER EIGHT

Eyeing the bird Winston spoke slowly.

"You are quite safe here Miss Rouge." She looked back at the magpie who glared at Winston as if she'd understood.

"Men in the village are asking about me. They'll be told I came here." Still eyeing the bird Winston nodded.

"Come back to the house."

Practically leaping from his seat he walked briskly back across the lawn. The magpie hopped up to Rouge May's shoulder and they went after him.

Winston burst through back door and without stopping went into a side room. He re-emerged wearing a dwarven helmet and carrying a huge dwarven battle axe. As soon as she was in he shut and locked the back door and gestured to her to go up the stairs. Once up there and back in the main entrance hall Winston asked her to wait just there and hurried away. Moments later Gabriel came into the entrance carrying a broad sword and bellowing in a booming voice.

"Cassiel, Azrael. Down here now." He stopped in front of Rouge.

"My lady, if you are to be my brother's bride and we are to protect you I need to know what is going on."

Rouge May looked from Gabriel to Winston and back, the magpie cawed loudly. She raised her hand and began to pet the bird's chest.

"Azura is my familiar, she followed me here and overheard some creatures in the village asking after me. I need to leave before they come to your door."

"Why are they after you?" Cassiel came running down the stairs and she could hear more footsteps approaching.

"I... it's complicated. I can't...." Cassiel cut in,

"Raphs our brother. If you're fated to him we have a duty to protect you." Gabriel nodded.

"He may have been too cowardly to stay and protect you but we will not fail you, my lady." Winston snorted but stayed silent at the insult directed to Raphael. She looked to Winston who nodded, she had a feeling he wouldn't tell her to trust them if she couldn't

"It's queen Mab. She wants my father but she can't leave her realm as he trapped her. She also can't get to him in his home and he doesn't leave it. She needs his blood to escape and gain access to him. She can't get to August Jet, my brother, so that leaves me."

"And taking more from your mother's gene pool than your brother you are less able to protect yourself from them." Wide-eyed Rouge stared at the man that was descending the stairs, like his brothers he was tall with dark hair, he had one bright blue eye, the other was bright green like his brother, Cassiel, who had green eyes and bright green highlights in his hair.

"How do you....?"

"Your mother is Nimue, a human, your father keeps her in Stonehenge so she doesn't age."

"How do you know that?" All the colour had drained from Rouge's face and she was ready to bolt for the nearest mirror.

"Our brother is somewhat of a scholar and historian." Supplied Gabriel who seemed deep in thought.

"But no one knows about my mother."

"Not many do, but it can be found. I've been researching since my sister disappeared, I've found out many things in that time, your father is one of the few people I think could help me to locate her. But his Stonehenge keep is impenetrable, I know, I've tried." Rouge May was on the verge of panic, Azura launched off of her shoulder and began to circle above their heads. Gabriel hadn't taken his eyes off Rouge who had run to the closet and was pulling her cloak on and her hood back about her face.

"You're not as mismatched with my brother as we all believed."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I have no doubt he would protect you if he were here. We shall do the same in his absence. I'm sure we can deal with whoever is coming. You are still welcome to stay here tonight, or for as long as you wish. We will not allow you to be harmed." Winston crossed the room to her.