Invitation

"Draco Lucius Malfoy, what were you thinking?", Narzissa's voice cut through the warm and peaceful summer evening like a knife. Draco didn't flinch or turn his head. He simply raised an eyebrow as he looked at his mother in the mirror. The blonde woman wore an expression of pure disgust on her face. She put her arms on her hips as she slowly shook her head.

"What's wrong, Mother?", Draco asked innocently.

"Is this supposed to be a joke?" She walked over to his side with long strides. "Because if so, it is certainly not a funny one."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"This." She pointed at his suit. Draco looked at his reflection. It was the same black suit he always wore to festive occasions. So far, his mother had never once complained about it. Although now he guessed her problem with it. "You can't get married in this! You look like you're invited to a funeral," Narzissa exclaimed.

"It certainly feels like I'm going to one," he muttered underneath his breath but Narzissa heard him. Her eyes narrowed but a snort behind them prevented her from further scolding.

Theo stood in the door, an amused smile on his face. "Apologies, Mrs. Malfoy," he said when they noticed him. "I did not mean to interrupt a private conversation."

Narzissa's gaze softened. She had a weakness for the Nott boy. "It's fine, Theodore. But please, tell Draco that his outfit is utterly unacceptable. Talk some sense into him." She scoffed after taking another look at her son. Draco clenched his jaw.

"I will certainly try," said Theo when Mrs. Malfoy passed him on her way out. She didn't close the door behind her. Theo waited until her footsteps faded in the distance before he looked at his friend.

"If you say one word about my suit, I will crucio you," Draco stated dryly.

"If you wear this suit tomorrow, Astoria will crucio you."

Draco sighed and turned around. "Why are you here?"

Theo let himself fall onto the bed. "You're supposed to give me the rings and –"

"– and?", asked Draco when Theo stopped.

His friend hesitated.

"Nott."

"Are you actually going through with the wedding?"

Draco nodded. "Obviously."

Theo's brows furrowed. "It's not my place to ask but what about –"

"Say her name and I'll rethink crucioing you."

"I don't think that's a word."

Draco glared at him but his friend watched him entirely unimpressed before he shrugged. "I just have a feeling this won't end well. You found someone who loves you and yet you are here marrying someone else."

"Astoria loves me," Draco muttered.

"Does she?" Theo raised an eyebrow. "She always seemed quite fond of Blaise."

"Theo," Draco began and sat down on a chair. "What do you want? As far as I remember, you weren't particularly excited when I started dating her. Something about blood traitors and Gryffindors."

Theo gave a dismissive wave. "Yes, yes, I know, I come from a bigoted family of assholes, I'm still learning. However," he made an important pause, "she's alright. A little weird and sometimes annoying but I like her. She's good for you. You need her."

Draco huffed. He had averted his gaze while Theo spoke, each of his words pulling at his wounds a little more, ripping them open, causing them to bleed all over again. It wasn't as if he had spent the past weeks desperately trying to forget you, to stop dreaming about you, to get rid of your image that appeared whenever he closed his eyes.