January

A/N: Hi! First of all - thank you all so much for your feedback! It means the world. <3 Also, I just started going back to uni so that's why I took two weeks off to focus on school. But I'm back now! Enjoy <3

***

January, week one ...

"Mum, stop it," you groaned when your mother tugged at your hair, trying to make it look – at least in her eyes – more presentable.

"And please, write more often, honey," she ignored your complaint and kept ... well, you weren't quite what she was doing with your hair. "Once every two weeks is not enough."

When her hands wandered down to start tugging at your scarf, you had enough and took a step back. "Mum, ugh, stop! What are you doing?!"

You were currently standing at Platform 9 ¾ with your parents. Christmas break had ended and it was time to go back to Hogwarts. This year, however, it felt like your parents were particularly set on keeping you at home. You noticed that they weren't the only ones acting strangely. There was a look of worry written over all of the adults faces – a feeling left behind from the year where sending the children off to Hogwarts was the most dangerous thing they could have done.

Your mother looked at you, a dreamy smile on her lips, and sighed. "It feels like yesterday when we dropped you off here the first time. Oh, how lovely you looked with your –"

"Alright, darling, the train will leave without Y/N if we keep her here any longer", your father interrupted her softly. He was right. Most of the students had already boarded the train, waving at their parents through the windows.

"Come here, sweetheart." He pulled you into a long hug.

"Bye, dad," you mumbled into his chest. "Love you."

"I love you too," he replied.

When your father let go, you turned to face your mother. "And I'll try to write more often."

She smiled and leaned forward to kiss your cheek. "I'll miss you ... and don't forget to give our thanks to that boyfriend of yours. We tried the wine yesterday. It's good."

You raised your eyebrows at her confession. Looking at your father, he nodded. "It's excellent, sadly." Well, that made you roll your eyes.

"Will do," you replied. Just when you grabbed your bag and wanted to turn towards the train door, you stopped in your tracks. "Anything else you want me to tell him, Mum?"

She blinked. "No, why?"

You were certain that she knew damn well what you were referring to. After the disastrous Christmas Dinner, Draco had surprisingly decided to spend the remaining holiday with them. However, what happened was never mentioned again. No, in true pureblood fashion, your parents just acted like nothing ever happened. They were calm and polite – at least your father was. Your mother tried to avoid talking to Draco altogether. There had never been a time where you were more ashamed of them.

After Draco had left, the shame turned into anger and quickly escalated. A fight, so huge and loud your sister would have been proud, broke out. Accusations, curses and harsh words were shared and it ended only when you locked yourself in your room at New Years Eve and spent the night with tears instead of fireworks. If not for your father, you probably wouldn't be speaking to your mother still. However, he convinced you to talk and eventually make up. Not that it changed your feelings towards their behavior.

You sighed and nodded. "Okay then. Bye!"

The smile returned to her face and the worried lines on your fathers forehead vanished. "Bye, honey!", your parents called and you waved at them one last time.