Cursed

A/N: I hope you like it! TW: eating disorder

It felt wrong.

Draco only used the Room of Requirements to be with you. He never went here on his own. Not that he would ever admit it – but the room scared him. The last time he'd been here alone was at the beginning of this school year. He found out then that it didn't change for him anymore. All he saw when he walked in were the dirty, cracked windows and the flies and spiders that died in front of them. Old furniture, forgotten books and dirt was scattered around, piling up and towering over him.

As he stood there, his gaze was drawn to the end of the room. Hiding behind the corners, buried under black linen, there it was. The vanishing cabinet. He felt its presence. Looming, waiting, calling for him. Alright, to be fair, the last part was probably only in his imagination. It didn't change his feelings towards this particular room of Hogwarts though.

It was different when you were with him. It changed for you and turned the monster that it was for Draco into a purring housecat. With you, it felt like a vacation. As if he had travelled to a small cottage, far away from roaring cities or ancient castles.

However tonight, you were not here. Astoria Greengrass had taken your place. She sat on a couch across from Draco, back straight, hands neatly folded in her lap. Her black hair was tied up in a bun and not a single strand of hair was out of place. The spitting image of her mother, Draco thought. He had always wondered about how different the Greengrass sisters looked. Astoria inherited the sharp features, thin lips, and slim figure of her mother. Daphne resembled their father a lot more with her round face, long blonde hair, and the doe-like eyes. The both of them were like night and day. Yin and Yang.

Draco looked around the room which had turned into a smaller version of the Slytherin common room. All the important details where there – from the green colors to the Slytherin emblems on the pillows and carpet. Only the windows were out of place. They didn't offer him a view inside of the lake but were the same cracked ones, he had seen one too many times in his life. It reminded him that he wasn't here with you.

It felt wrong.

***

Draco leaned back against the chair. He crossed his leg and his fingertips tapped a non-recognizable rhythm on his right upper thigh. Astoria didn't look up at him when she spoke. He could tell that the words had been carefully chosen in advance. Remembered and recited in front of a mirror. Yet she couldn't meet his eyes. Draco noticed the way she plucked at the skin on her thumb.

When you'd ask him tomorrow for how long the conversation went on, he wouldn't have an answer. Time seemed to stand still the moment Astoria opened her mouth for the first time.

"Say something," she whispered when she finished, and the silence became unbearable.

Draco noticed that there wasn't a fireplace. Another thing that the Room of Requirement had gotten wrong.

"Say something," Astoria repeated herself, her voice shaking a little more this time.

Draco stopped the tapping. "Is that why?", he finally asked.

She hesitated and then nodded. Draco sighed and looked out of the window.

"I'm sorry," he said after a while.

Astoria scoffed. "Me too."

"I am," he looked back at her.

For the first time since he had entered the room, Astoria lifted her head. When her eyes met his, he saw the anger in them. "I'm dying and all you have to say is 'Sorry'?", she spat out.