ii. drew barrymore

- 𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚠 𝚋𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚢𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝚜𝚣𝚊

˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚

RICHARD WEBBER, WHO STOOD ON STAGE SPOKE INTO THE MICROPHONE IN A CLEAR VOICE, "Okay people. Let's begin. Patient #34986 died last month from complications following a heart transplant. Dr. Burke will present."
Dr. Burke, a dark skinned man in a white coat stepped up after this introduction and continued the presentation, "Cause of death was an embolus that dislodged from the suture line and caused a CVA with brain stem herniation."

People then raised their hands with questions and a girl spoke up after she was called on. "So the company line is he died from a CVA?"
"There is no company line. That's how he died." Burke concluded while another man jumped in, "Let's get back to this patients need for emergent transplant. You're saying the patient's left ventricle had been weakened by the LVAD malfunction?"

"His left ventricle was weakened by the fact that he had congestive heart failure." Burke corrected
"Please Dr. Burke. We all know the LVAD was cut by an intern." another man spat out knowingly causing Adeleine's eyes to widen in surprise.
"The events remain unclear..." Dr. Burke trailed off
"It's unclear to you 'cause you were in the ER with a gunshot wound. Why aren't we hearing from Dr. Bailey? She was the senior physician on the case." the man continued snarkly.

"I'm the attending on record." Burke challenged
"Yes, I was the resident in charge." a woman, who Adeleine assumed was Dr. Bailey stood up and explained in a clear voice. "Dr. Burke has summarized the medical facts of this case. Are there any questions for me?"

As she said that almost everyone in the room hands shot up.

"You recently had a baby, Dr. Bailey?" Dr. Savoy the man that was ridiculing Dr. Burke seconds before continued to interrogate.
"I don't see what that has to do with...." Bailey trailed off.
"Sleep deprivation coupled with wild swings in hormone levels are factors that could cloud anyone's judgement."
"I sleep just fine, Dr. Savoy." Bailey retorted irritated.
"Really? Cause if a patient died due to my poor decision making. I'd lose a little sleep over it." Dr. Savoy ridiculed.

"Let me remind everyone that our purpose here is not to place blame. This is a forum to discuss mistakes in patient care and learn from them." Richard chimed in.
"Well so far I haven't heard Dr. Bailey admit to a mistake." Dr. Savoy scoffed "So for a period of several hours, your interns were running a muck in the hospital unsupervised."

"I'm waiting for a question." Bailey huffed
"The question is where were you?" Dr. Savory asked
"there was the shooting, and the ER was chaotic."
"The ER is always chaotic. Did you page them during this time?"
"Yes, I paged them several times."
"So apparently, they thought it was okay to ignore your pages. Dr. why do you think your interns have so much contempt for your auto?"