iii. hard feelings / loveless

- 𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚍 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜/𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚋𝚢 𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚎

˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚˙༓࿇༓˙˚

SOMETHING ATE AT ADELEINE AFTER HER FIRST OFFICIAL DAY WAS OVER she wasn't sure if it was the nerves dialing down as she began to feel comfortable in a hospital she just started at and it made her worried that something bad was going to happen. Or if it was the vodka making her feel warm with every sip she took but as the stool scraped next to her signaling someone was there caused her to exhale in defeat of thinking she was finally going to get her peace and quiet.

"You know, all day long the whole hospital was buzzing about the new intern with the famous father and the argument you had with Karev." Derek informed
"Wow, that hospital really needs to drop the drama." Adeleine shook her head as she took a sip of her drink.
"Kind of hard when you discuss your personal life in the hallways not to mention that he was slumping around all day because of it. What happened between you two?"
"I told you, Derek. It's simple, we grew up together and he left. There's nothing more to it." Adeleine huffed getting tired of this conversation.
"Well he seems to really miss you." Derek began sympathetically

"Why do you care so much about this?" Adeleine spat rather aggressively then she meant to 
"Because as of right now you are the closest thing I have to a best friend since mine slept with my wife." Derek responded "and honestly you look terrible and I say this which as much comfort as I can - but you look hesitant about joining the staff because he's there."
"I am not hesitant - who told you that? Richard?" Adeleine wondered as Derek's expression answered the question which caused the girl to roll his eyes.

"Even if I was hesitant which i'm not - it would because I'm actually starting to feel comfortable here and that terrifies me." Adeleine admitted she wasn't sure why she was spilling all of her deep dark secrets to some neurosurgeon she met in the elevators today, maybe it was the kind eyes or the sympathetic facial expressions but she felt like she could trust him and that made her feel uneasy.
"Comfort terrifies you?" Derek repeated slowly causing the girl to cut him off, "You know what, never mind. God I miss Jackson." Adeleine huffed picking at her nails.

"No. I get it. Feeling too comfortable scares you because you feel like something bad is going to come and ruin it, that's why you're afraid to be comfortable because you want to be happy and you're afraid that staying here will make you happy and you'll feel guilty that your family isn't here to experience it with you."
"My parents made my life a complete shit show and my brother left. So no I don't feel guilty for being happy - I'm moving on, putting my past behind me and that includes Alex Karev." Adeleine rambled
"Who are you trying to convince? Me or you?" Derek glanced at the clock hanging on the wall before pulling out his money and paying for his drinks and Adeleine while she pulled out her phone not paying attention to the guy's actions as she pulled up Richard Webber's contact which is when she noticed the money she went to protest that she could pay for her own but he was already gone causing her to frown slightly.