Chapter 14

Amber

The roaring of the engine underneath me directly reflected my rage. I couldn't believe Alek!

I had seen Kelly talking with them in the hallways. Never had I thought it had been making a date for homecoming. Not until in the middle of the game, when I overhead her bragging to a couple of squad members that she had 'scored the hottest Zionian as her date.' I hadn't had to ask who she was talking about as Lindsey shot a telling look my way. .

I had been half tempted to grab her by her pony tails and demand she listen to reason. He was just going to hurt her.

Somehow, I had held off until the end of the game. The Mountaineers had taken home the win and I had rushed home to hop on my jet ski. I don't even remember the ride over. All I knew was that when I turned the corner to bring the beach in sight I had seen his form, waiting there for me and clutched the accelerator to dangerous beaching speeds.

"Stealth the claws, Princess." Large hands captured my own and didn't bother letting go after I finished raging into his face. I was half surprised there wasn't a hole in his shirt where I had been stabbing my fingernail into his overly hard chest.

"No." I snapped wrenching my hands from his grasp. I was tempted to start stabbing again but managed to get control of myself and put my hands behind my back instead. "I will not stand back and let this happen."

"So worked up at the thought of me on a date with your friend you couldn't even take time to change?" He smirked looking me up and down leisurely. My exposed skin on my thighs and stomach burned as his eyes set upon me, making me suddenly feel naked. Which was ridiculous, as he had seen me in much less than my cheer leading uniform.

"I won't let you hurt her." I demanded, unable to resist shoving him in the chest. He was in my personal space too much. Unfortunately, I didn't do much in moving his large form.

"Who said anything about hurting anyone?"

"I'm serious." I demanded, running a hand though my knotted hair that had come loose at some point during my mad ride over to the beach. "I won't stand by and watch you hurt her."

We stood there facing off, as the sun disappeared behind the tree line. I watched as shadows from the flickering bonfire played across his hard jaw line. Playing with the tattoos decorating his neck. As we faced off, glaring into each others eyes, I refused to be the first to back down. I would make him back out of this date if it was the last thing I did.

He must have seen the stubbornness in my eyes. Finally, he gave in with a weary sigh. Breaking the stare he looked down to the ground as he backed up to the fire pit. Squatting down onto a log, he picked up a stick and started marking in the sand with the thin end.

Alek waited until I had sat on the log across the way from him before speaking. "I'm not going to hurt her. It's not even a real date. It's just to get everyone to the dance."

"Why would you be worried about the other's going to the dance?" I hedged, my curiosity overtaking my stubbornness. Why would Alien's care about a human homecoming dance?

"Because they are tired of being social outcast maybe." He snapped, hitting the mark.

It was my fault and I still hadn't lifted a finger to correct it, too scared of my fathers warning. "I'm sorry." It wasn't much, put at least I could say those words. Here on this beach, where it was only the two of us to hear.

He could have pushed. He could have asked for reasons. He could have demanded more than a simple apology. Instead, he silently accepted it with a nod and let me off the hook. "Zeke is ecstatic to be going to the dance, he's always wanted to fit in. Zeena, however, is skeptical."