Chapter 28

Alek

"But she is okay?" Lindsey's voice screeched through the cell phone once again, seeking confirmation. .

"I mean, yeah." The image of Amber looking thin and pale, with blood streaked on her face and arm came to the forefront of my mind. "The house arrest is just getting to her." I had already spent the first ten minutes of the call explaining why Amber had been MIA.

"Then just leave a note and phone under the pillow and get back out here, lover-boy!" Kelly had obviously wrestled the phone from Lindsey, once again. "I'm ready to get back home, I have plans."

"You can make new plans... with me." I heard Zeke in the back ground, followed by giggling from who I assumed to be Kelly. And a loud 'I think I'm going to be sick', no doubt this last comment coming from Zeena.

I never should have left them all in a boat together. I hadn't even wanted to bring anyone but Lindsey, since she was my driver. But I had been overruled. Kelly hadn't wanted to be stranded on the beach, which I could understand. Then Zeke had, of course, wanted to go with Kelly, whom he seemed to be crushing on. Zeena had refused to be the only one left behind. Hence, the crowd of unwanted boat passengers.

"Yeah, I need to get you guys back." Lindsey took over as the voice of reason. "I'm not sure I can play referee to this bunch much longer."

I pulled the second phone from my pocket. We had made a stop at a local dock on the way over, the girls running in to get two burner phones, one for me to keep and one for Amber. I could leave it for her and get back to the compound. With the phones I would now be able to contact her.

If I did that I could get out of the conversation I knew she wanted to have. A conversation that I had little doubt would lead to me revealing secrets she was better off not knowing.

I could take the cowardly route, despite my chest aching at the thought of leaving her so soon. Of not saying goodbye.

"Just go ahead and go." I ran a hand over my face and paced Amber's room as I made this reckless decision.

"What?" "Umm...no." "What the hell." I could hear everyone's thoughts on this course of action.

"Seriously. I'm just going to stay here." I couldn't leave her. Not yet. Not when she needed me. "Zeena and Zeke can cover for me, like you have before, at the compound. And Lindsey you can just come and get me in the morning."

"Do I look like your personal chauffeur?" Lindsey clearly was just as happy with this idea as Zeena and Zeke.

"Then don't come get me." I snapped. "I don't care, I'll walk home. But I'm not leaving her yet."

"This is a lot of commitment for someone you kissed once." Kelly commented. "Must have been one hell of a kiss."

"Shut up Kelly." Both Zeena and Lindsey called out at the same time.

All I knew was I was glad to not be on that boat.

"Fine." Lindsey huffed. "But keep your phone on you. And you better not get caught."

"And make sure she knows I'm still mad at her." Kelly yelled out before Lindsey was able to hang up.

I ended the call and stuffed the cell phone back in my pocket after programming the number for Amber's in the contacts list. I placed Amber's on her nightstand then crossed her room to have a look around.

I had had some time to familiarize myself with the large lay out earlier as I waited for her to arrive. Now I took a closer look at her personal domain.