Meeting You

You stood behind the counter of the meat section bored. You worked at a farm shop in the middle of nowhere and none usually visited, apart from weary lorry drivers and families on day trips. The only person you had frequently was a man called Hannibal. You had been told about him but never met him, he usually came to buy just as the store was closing.

You decided to leave the confines behind the meat section and wander around the small shop, adjusting small bits to fill the time. You had just finished adjusting the small cheese fridge when you heard the tinkle of the door to signal a customer. You looked up to see a handsome dark-haired man. He was tall and wore a smart suit which fitted his figure perfectly.

"Good afternoon" you called over.

"Good afternoon (y/p)" he said, his eyes falling on you and lingering for a second.

"Would you like anything particular today sir?" you asked, walking closer to the man.

"I need Veal shanks and sirloin steaks from the meat section" he said. You nodded, shuffling over to the section and picking up the required meats.

The man watched you skillfully pick out what he asked for and wrap them in thick brown paper.

"Anything else sir?" you asked.

"I may have a reconnoitre" he said. You nodded, placing the meats on the counter. You watched the man out of the corner of your eye pick things up and put them in the basket which hung from his hand. He picked up cheese, beer and some bread before placing the basket on the counter.

"That is $28.50," you said. The man dug out of his bag his wallet which looked expensive in itself and fished out 10 and 20 dollar bills, placing them onto the counter. "Please keep the change" he said, smiling slightly and picking up the bag you placed his items into.

"Thank you sir" you said smiling and placing the notes into the cash machine.

"Please call me Hannibal." he stuck out his hand for you to shake. "Hannibal Lecter"

"Thank you Hannibal" you said. "Have a good day"

"I wish the same also to you" he said, walking out of the shop.