You Don't Have To Be Extreme, Just Consistent

I wasn't prepared for the tackle-hug but appreciated the unexpected gesture of affection despite getting a smelly baby sock trapped in the couch crack alarmingly close to my mouth.

"I'm so happy you're going to join our sisterhood for realsies!" Kirra squealed as I attempted to regain my breath. "There's a local meetup tonight - we're totally going!"

The next few hours was an explosion of Kirra's overwhelmingly intense manic energy, buzzing around her messy apartment. Shirts were briefly considered and carelessly tossed aside. Makeup was spilled on countertops and containers not capped when finished with.

Her place would be so much neater if she just put stuff away when she was finished using it.

My natural OCD streak was definitely tRiGgErEd and anxiety spiking since we were already a few minutes late for the meeting - I had noticed another quirk of Kirra's personality was her inability to properly manage her time. My gentle reminders about the clock and bemusement at her need to select the "perfect" top with her shredded skinny jeans when all of the shirts looked fine to me both went completely unnoticed.

The meetup was in a side party room at a major chain restaurant. I could smell the sickly tang of domestic beer and overspiced chicken wing sauce from the parking lot. Apparently, this venue had hosted previous events since Kirra didn't even bother using the front door - she sashayed through the side entrance used by food runners to ferry to-go orders to waiting cars, strode through the butler's closet-esque employees-only area, and striked a seat at an unoccupied side table. I followed behind sheepishly, trying to be as confident as the authoritative clicks of her ankle boots. If the social faux-pas of interrupting the speaker by not even trying to hide being late bothered her, she didn't bother to show it. I wondered if she genuinely enjoyed the negative attention or was just trying to mask some kind of insecurity.

The speaker was an overtan brunette with immaculately smooth hair who also looked deliciously attractive in glasses - a feat I was instantly jealous of.

"Anyways," I caught a not-very-subtle side-eye from the petitie speaker at Kirra, who was suddenly absorbed by her phone despite her enthusiasm to attend the meeting. "like I was saying, I am so incredibly grateful to be here and to be able to share the Flourish experience with others. Every time I look at my children, it's a positive reminder of why I'm doing this; why I'm putting in the work. It's not for the money, it's not for the recognition, it's not for the car," she cackle-laughed nervously, "It's so I can stay home and give them my full attention- so I can be fully present through those wonderful first few years that just fly by. That is my why!"

Hoots of assent wove through the small crowd and a few of the seated spectators clapped. I did to, out of politeness. Kirra was snapping pictures on her phone and roughly elbowed me.

"Make sure you get some shots for your Friendli page!" she snapped, volume a little louder than it needed to be. I nodded, hands clammy and discreetly trying to unzip my backpack without attracting more negative attention to us. A few other people were snapping pictures, and one even appeared to be livestreaming the event, judging by the large tablet device hoisted directly in front of her face. I guess being extremely online and extremely enthusiastic for these events was the proper etiquette - counter to the quiet, polite respectfulness I was used to affording speakers at professional development conferences.

"My name is Josie and I'm an 80K VIP with Flourish!" she shook her arms in at air at another round of applause, basking in the affirmation of the crowd.

Our Goddess-In-Chief glided over to Josie, lightly embraced her, and relieved her of the microphone.

"Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational testimonial," Kymberly oozed in that hypnotic, melodic voice of hers. "When we're struggling, or tired, or just don't want to put forth the effort, I want you to remind yourself of why you got into this business! You just have to use that Why as your fire to just keep pushing! People sometimes give up right before they're about to experience their greatest Blessings and I don't want anyone in this room to fall victim to that!"

She slowly blinked and let a crafty smile peek out of her glossy, plump lips. Today's outfit was a too-small white tank top and an sheer, tropical blue skirt (or was it one of those breezy shawls you got on vacation at beachy gift shops, tied as a skirt?), and silver hoops as wide as her bangle collection. The tips of her French manicure coordinated perfectly with her skirt.

Did she just get her nails done today, to match a preselected Function Outfit? Does she get her nails done, and then coordinate her outfits with them until they need to be filled, and then change the color? I think she had normal white French tips at her house? How on Earth did this woman manage to be so ... put together?

I stroked the Uruz rune I had drawn on the inside of my left wrist with marker while getting ready at Kirra's house, willing it to transfer some power and confidence to my own aura.

"The most important thing I want you to remember today is that you don't have to be extreme, just consistent!" Kymberly continued. "Post at least 3 times a day, engage with your fellow promoters, send at least 5 invites messages a day. As long as you just keep working at your business and never ever give up, the money will come."

She introduced the next speaker, this time a blonde who told a beautiful story about her goal to move her family out of their apartment and purchase her family's first home. There were a few men in the crowd, but the majority of the room was loud and beautiful and female. I felt woefully inadequate but simultaneous infused with the hopeful spirit.

Adding a bright, airy filter to an image of the ever-photogenic Kymberly, I hit post on my Friendli feed.

Hashtag work meetup

hashtag inspired

hastag Boss Babe.

**********

Author's Notes

High-heeled boots, amiright? An easy way to feel instantly more confident and put together. They're magic, I swear! I own a knee-high pair with big Let's-Go-Rob-A-Stagecoach energy. Definitely not the most capable, coordinated female, but I learned the Boot Magic Secret long ago.

Another fun secret, this time to use for writing projects: The Art of Ignoring. Ignore your social media notifications, ignore your urge to scroll Reddit, ignore your urge to Google Self-Publishing companies, ignore your urge to work on the five other project ideas you have. The only thing you should be messing with is your story, your coffee, and your playlist when it's writing time. You can do all that stuff after. Right now, you are writing. You are writing your next Chapter of a thing you started and are going to finish - the only way to manifest a marketable book product is to sit down and actually write the thing. That's the hardest part - actually doing it. But I believe in me, and I believe in you, too, Lucy!

Now go write your next Chapter - I'm excited to read it!

Don't forget to vote, follow, and drink a glass of water today you beautiful human!