Chapter 56 (Year 6)

River's POV

"So how was Slughorn's latest party?" Harry asked me and Hermione in Herbology.

"Yeah, it was actually really fun," Hermione answered.

"Yeah, I liked it," 

"I mean, he drones on about famous ex-pupils a bit, and he absolutely fawns on McLaggen because he's so well-connected, but he gave us some really nice food and he introduced us to Gwenog Jones."

"Gwenog Jones!" Ron gasped,

"The Gwenog Jones? Captain of the Holyhead Harpies?"

"That's right!"

"Personally, I thought she was super full of herself," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Me too," Hermione agreed.

"Quick, hide me!" I yelled, hiding under the table, as Professor Sprout came over.

"Quite enough chat over here!" Sprout yelled. Hermione went a little red as Sprout walked away and I sat back up in my chair.

"What are you doing? You're not supposed to be in this class!" Hermione hissed,

"Well, not really, but I had this period free and thought I'd join," I said.

"Join? You can't just join!" Hermione said,

"Yes, I can, and I just did," I said, glancing at Professor Sprout.

"Should've used Muffliato, Harry." Ron whispered, Hermione turned glaring at him.

"No! We shouldn't!" Hermione yelled, as a plant tried to attack her, Ron swatted it away.

"You know, I don't think I'll be having any of these in my garden when I've got my own place," Ron said.

"Anyway, Slughorn's going to have a Christmas party, Harry, and there's no way you'll be able to wriggle out of this one because he actually asked me to check your free evenings, so he could be sure to have it on a night you can come." Hermione explained, 

"And this is another party just for Slughorn's favorites, is it?" Ron asked.

"Just for the slug club, yeah." I said,

"'Slug Club,' It's pathetic. Well, I hope you enjoy your party. Why don't you try hooking up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug —"

"We're allowed to bring guests," Hermione said, suddenly turning bright red, as she stared at her plant pods.

"and I was going to ask you to come, but if you think it's that stupid then I won't bother!" Hermione yelled,

"You were going to ask me?" Ron said, surprised.

"Yes. But obviously if you'd rather I hooked up with McLaggen." She hissed,

"No, I wouldn't," Ron whispered.

"Quick, hide me!" I yelled again, rushing under the table, as Professor Sprout walked over again.

---

"Well, who are you taking to Slug horns party?" Hermione asked as we walked around the library.

"I might just go alone, our with you," I said, shrugging.

"But you can't!" Hermione whisper-yelled, I looked at her confused as she put another book on the shelf.

"And why not?" I asked,

"Well, I already asked someone, and now you have to bring someone."

"Well, I have no one to bring,"