Chapter 8

Azriel's POV

Azriel felt ashamed for how he had reacted with Rhys. But mostly, he was embarrassed that Gwyn was the one who had found him in his pathetic state. He couldn't forget how she had held his face in her hands, as if it was fragile, as if she actually cared

He didn't know whether he wanted to thank her or yell at her for not letting him die. Though an injury like that was likely to be more of a nuisance than a death knell.

He had called out for her when he had sensed her walking down the hallway and she had come to his room to answer him. But then he had panicked and acted as if he was sleeping instead of actually thanking her as he had planned to. She had stood there for a few minutes and Azriel had almost opened his eyes to see what she found so interesting. 

But then she had left and Azriel was left lying there pretending to sleep, his heart racing for no reason whatsoever.

Then about an hour later Rhys had come to lecture him and when Azriel had asked him the question about whether he was there to give him another scolding, he had seen the regret flash in his eyes.

Good, Azriel had thought. He should not have to be the only one whose guilt was eating him up. And then another fresh wave of misery had washed over him as he realized he was wishing for Rhys, his brother, to suffer as he was.

He scratched at his forearms with his bitten nails, welcoming the little pain. Blood welled up in the small hurts before they immediately stitched over thanks to he Fae's quick healing, leaving little white scars behind.

He thumped back against the bed when he sensed someone else walking down the hallway towards his room and putting an arm over his face, he closed his eyes. He was in no mood to talk to anyone nor apologize for his stupidity. 

Quiet footsteps stopped outside his door and hesitated. A moment later, there was a knock and Elain, Elain, murmured, "Azriel?" 

Elain, whom he had been avoiding and hadn't seen since the Solstice night, was standing outside of his door because she wanted to see him, despite the fact that he had rejected her.

Azriel's hands started sweating and his heart pounded against his chest.

He didn't answer her.

"You know I can hear your heart, right?" She said, and his shadows informed him there was a wry smile on Elain's face.

Azriel knew he could winnow away but instead he found himself walking towards the door, mesmerized. He hadn't seen Elain's face in so long, and he really, really wanted to-

He leaned his forehead against the door instead of opening it like he had planned to. "I can't." He breathed in anguish, and he sensed Elain lean against the door from the outside.

"Just open the door, Az." She whispered. 

And he almost did.

But then he heard Nesta's voice call out to Elain from down the hallway and he shuddered, in relief or in pain, he didn't know.

She put her hand on the door and murmured his name once. He put his hand where he sensed her hand was, and if the door wasn't in their way, their foreheads would have been touching, and their hands would have been clasped.

But he did not open the door. 

And after another minute, Elain gave up on him and left.

And he sensed her, normally bright, but right now dull, presence fade as she walked down the hallway.

Azriel let out a shaky breath. He needed some fresh air. Wanting to avoid Elain completely, he used the window to get outside and climbed down two stories.

He stood in the backyard and breathed in the fresh air, his chest constricting.

That was when Gwyn walked out of the backdoor and quietly came to stand beside Azriel.

"Are you okay?" She murmured, her breath fogging the air in little puffs.

Not being able to speak properly, he just nodded. Gwyn then turned to him, her teal eyes looking at him with concern and he tried to smile at her in assurance. But he failed, and as his smile broke and his face flashed with pain, Gwyn reached out her arm and hesitated for a moment.

Then she touched the back of his hand with her fingers as if asking for permission, and he trembled.

But then his chin dipped slightly.

And Gwyn laced her fingers with his.

And slowly, very slowly, Azriel let out a breath he did not know he was holding, the weight on his chest loosening slightly.

And they stood there, holding hands and staring at the stars for almost the entirety of the night with no one interrupting the tranquility that had somehow bloomed between them.

Word Count: 907

Shoutout to @Maddiee2200 for being the first ever person who commented on my story and encouraged me to continue it! It may not mean much but I am truly grateful to all of you who take the time to read my story and have helped me reach 1.6K views!

This was a relatively short chapter but I'll be bringing along quite longer ones after this hopefully. The Gwynriel scenes are coming along and I'm soo excited!

Thank you guys for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!

-BookAddict79