Chapter 10

(I'm going to be repeating some of the previous chapter scenes but this time from Azriel's point of view. Enjoy!)

Azriel's POV

Azriel tossed and turned in his bed, unable to sleep. Despite the fact he felt more at ease than he had in days, sleep wasn't coming to him.

He groaned, getting up from bed and putting a shirt on. 

It was going to be another sleepless night.

Walking out of his room and quietly shutting the door behind him, he walked down the hallway and past Cassian's room, wanting the fresh air on his face. 

But what he did not expect to hear was the sniffles from the end of the corridor. He walked faster, his long strides covering the distance in a few steps, worried.

And was met with Gwyn's tear-stained face in front of his eyes. She was in her pajamas, a sleeveless tank top paired with the fluffy trousers. Azriel's eyes widened as he saw her. Her own eyes were shut tightly, tears leaking through, and Azriel reached out to her, desperate to be as consoling as she had been to him last night. 

"Look at me, Gwyn." He said softly, placing his fingers on her blotchy cheek. 

Slowly, she opened her eyes, and as their gazes met, he saw her face crumple and she fell to the floor, crying. His shock was palpable, but before he knew what he was doing, he fell to his knees before her and pulled her arms away from where she was holding them across her face. 

She looked so pained, her eyes full of anguish, her face tormented. Azriel felt as if his heart would crack in half. "You look how I feel everyday." Azriel said to her, his voice strained, and he felt as if the misery in the air was almost tangible. Azriel brushed his hand against her cheek again helplessly, and went still in shock when Gwyn suddenly threw her arms around his neck and sobbed into his shirt. 

Azriel hadn't been hugged like this for so long and his heart started racing as Gwyn held onto him tightly, as if she was grateful for his presence. He hadn't felt needed in so long, and the feel of Gwyn's fingers clutching at the collar of his shirt as if his touch was comfort made his eyes burn.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and back, and stood up a moment later, her light weight in his arms. He heard her draw in a surprised breath, her quiet weeping pausing as he set her down on the couch. 

Then he crouched down on his knees so that they were at eye level and holding her gaze, he placed his palm flat against her cheek and said quietly, "Whenever you want to talk I'm here." He swore to her, and she sniffled once before saying lightly, "Thank you."

And then she turned her head into his hand and kissed his palm lightly before she leaned back against the couch and closed her eyes.

Azriel froze in shock, his hand still against her cheek, his shadows swirling around him madly.

She had just kissed him in thanks.

Gwyn, with her bad memories and traumatic past, with her smiles and beautiful laughs, had just kissed his hand in appreciation just because he was there.

Azriel stood up suddenly, his breathing sounding harsh to his own ears, and walked to the balcony, looking down at the span of Velaris. He almost jumped up into the cool air but he hesitated.

And glanced back at the girl whose breathing had evened out and was lying on the couch, her face worried in sleep as well.

And instead of jumping into the night sky, he decided to spend the night with her.

In hopes that his shadows would somehow keep her nightmares at bay.

Going to his room and grabbing a pillow and his blanket, he brought it outside to where Gwyn was leaning against the couch, her red hair splayed over her shoulders and face.

He walked to her and gently brushed her hair back from her face. Then he grasped her shoulder lightly and made her lay down on the pillow he had placed on the couch, instead of letting her sleep in the sitting position that would surely give her bad neck cramps. He then draped a blanket over her tiny body, noticing how exhausted she must have been to not move an inch throughout this.

And then Azriel did something he didn't expect of himself.

Tentatively, he crouched down and caressed her face with his fingers. 

Then he brushed his lips against her forehead in the barest of kisses and murmured quietly, "Sweet dreams."

Then he took up a seat in front of the couch, looked at Gwyn's face and sighed in relief as the worried lines evened out. 

He sat on the couch for the entirety of the night, not noticing as the feeling of drowsiness hit him, and as the light of dawn began to illuminate the room, Azriel's eyes closed and exhaustion overtook him and pulled him into a deep sleep.

Word Count: 871

I know I know, it's a short chapter and it's practically the same thing as the previous one but I wanted it from Azriel's point of view and they're so cute argh!

The slowed version of Dusk till Dawn I posted above.. JUST IMAGINE AZRIEL SINGING IT TO GWYN I cant-

Anyways thank you for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!

-BookAddict79