Better than a tazor?

Chapter 13: Better than a tazor?

The heart of the town was a pedestrian zone only.

It was busy – choked with people just going about their day. Strolling along the old, cobbled pathways, I took in the scent of the air. The scent of life. The sun shone up high, unhindered by a cloud. By a shadow that would dare hide her light.

But there was a wind – a gentle and sweet one that stirred my skirt around my legs. One that carried the sound of laughing children. Of babbling water.

I bit down my smile, peering into the window of an antique shop. It was full of clocks and old wooden things that I didn't recognise. Knick-knacks and other strange things that I would love to find a home for. I pressed my hands against the glass, my fingers over my brow as I peered inside. There were tiny woven baskets on a stand, with tarnished jewellery spilling from their tops. Thick bangles and outrageously large hoops.

"Oh, I see an ice-cream stand!" Lux sighed, clasping her hands together. "Blav? Want to get some with me?"

The Alpha's second-hand smiled dazzlingly at her. "One or two scoops?"

I let them walk away, content in the knowledge that I would find Lux in a crowd by scent and sound alone. I wouldn't lose her.

The Alpha stood a hairsbreadth from my shoulder. Delicately, he cleared his throat. "Do you like to window-shop?"

"I like seeing shiny things." I pulled back, turning around. "There are so many beautiful things just left forgotten."

"Like a magpie?"

My gaze slid to him. "Did you just compare me to a bird?"

"Magpies like shiny things." He defended.

I swallowed down the biting retort, scenting a newcomer walking far too close. The Lycan turned a half-second after me, his brow tightening.

"Easton," A curt voice greeted. "Nice to see you home again."

A woman stood on the footpath, resting her hands on her hips. Her hair was thick and long, tumbling over her shoulders in a wave of luscious red. Two butterfly slips kept the heavy hair from falling over her face.

I zeroed in on those clips, wondering where I could get them too. Damn him. I was a magpie.

"Merri." Easton hummed. "I thought I sent you away?"

I should have been intimidated by her. She was beautiful. Freckled skin. Wide hips and generous thighs.  A widening smile of perfect teeth as Easton turned his full attention on her.

"I couldn't stay away," She pouted lightly. Black-lined green eyes flickered to me. "And you must be Nova?"

"Yes."

"I'm Merri," Her smile hitched wider. "And Easton tried to send me away because I would have been too much for you. That's what he said, but I don't believe that. I'm a ray of sunshine to his more gloomy demeanour."

"Do you stay in his house?" I asked.

Merri's smile flickered. "What?"

My attention drifted to the window again and the shiny displays. "He sent you away. From the town or his house?"

I looked back in time to catch them share a look. Merri seemed almost amused by it. "I stay there with my husband."

"You're married?" I glanced down at her hand, but while they bore scars and welts, there was no ring. "You don't have a ring."