Testing Boundaries.

Chapter Nineteen: Testing Boundaries.

"You must stay the night," Easton told Marianne at the crackling fire. "It's too late to travel now."

Mam stewed at the armchair in the fire, casting me a contemplative look. "If that's alright."

I had been sitting with my legs curled up underneath me, eyes on the fire as the embers danced. I glanced up at her, trying to manage a smile.

Mam flinched.

That smile died, but my voice did not wither. "Of course."

There were drinks and bowls with crisps and nuts to be nibbled on. I watched Easton as Nyssa regaled us with a tale of her latest dancing competition. He had rolled back his sleeves, shoulders sinking into the wide-backed armchair. Dark hair tickled his forehead and as tiredness plagued him, those golden eyes had grown heavy.

My attention cut back to my mother. When I had been a girl, she was an avid Lycan hater. She had engaged in the protests and rambled on about how they had destroyed the human economy; that they were too powerful and un-natural.

Now, she sat in the sitting room of the Lycan leader, peacefully watching some silly little movie playing out on the telly.

So strange.

I drank more wine and liberally filled Lux's glass, never wanting to see it less than half-full. I was a danger and Lux told me so as she topped up my wine. That made me miss my little apartment and our nights of wine and bad movies. I doubted Easton would appreciate us throwing popcorn at his telly.

Mam spoke little, preferring to let Nyssa guide the conversation. When she passed one time on the way to the bathroom, she pressed her fingers against my shoulder.

An old habit.

When the bottle was finished, I plucked the glass from Lux's hand and the other empty glasses and spun into the kitchen. I didn't have words to fill the silence and I didn't really know why I should have been the one to fill the silence. So I was happy too, to let Nyssa guide the conversation.

"I'll help you," Easton rose.

"To find the good stuff?" I asked. Mam had always been partial to a wine and cheese night. I looked to her briefly. 'See. I remember.'

She smiled at me again.

His smile was shadowed as we stepped out into the hall. "I hide those very well. You'd never know with Blav. He would empty your house of good food and drink with a laugh."

"I doubt you would say no to him." I laughed.

"No..." Easton said it in mock shame. "He has me wrapped around his finger."

I padded barefoot through the kitchen. As Easton went for the good stuff. I popped open the fridge, reaching for the bowl of chocolate pudding. I scooped out a large spoonful and hopped up onto the counter, watching as Easton took out another bottle of wine.

He hesitated. "We are going to all regret this in the morning."

I took another spoon of pudding and held out the bowl. "Want to share? I feel like I'm going to eat it all."

He glanced at me and a half-smile rose. "You have chocolate on your mouth"

"Oh?" I snorted a laugh. "How classy. Where?"

I wiped at the sides of my mouth with the back of my hand. Tutting, Easton set down the wine and grabbed a cloth, wetting it.

"Will I?" He edged closer. "Or do you want to do it yourself?"