Chapter One

Honte (Fr)- shame 

It was going to be just like any other summer. I was going to book my flight to London, spend the usual three months theatre hopping, hopefully meet some two- day flings in the process.

A day had passed after finals. My roommate was gone and I was packed: all I needed to do was book the routine midnight flight and cross my fingers that the traffic would be in my favor. I usually made it anyways: with a minute or two to spare. I typed in my details and waited for the booking confirmation to open up when my phone rang.

"Aunt Emma! Hi!"

"Natalie, I've missed you so much! Come back for the summer."

"I'd love to, Aunt Emma. But I've already booked my flight."

"But I've been missing you, dear. You haven't come back since..."

"Since I started college."

"Naty, it's been two years! Two years! I'm not even sure you're in college anymore. You are, aren't you?"

"I've been e-mailing you my grades for the past two years, haven't I?"

"I don't want to see your grades, dear. I want to see you."

"But..." the browser finally loaded: my ticket for London was booked. "My ticket just got booked."

"Cancel it!"

"Aunt Emma, please! I..."

"I'm calling your uncle." I heard her yell for Uncle Tomas on the line. A deep voice came on the line.

"Naty, your aunt is missing you. Could you..."

"Okay," I relented, cancelling my booking. "I'll see you in two days."