Chapter Eleven

"Am I a genius or what?"

Ava stood confidently as we sat around her laptop, reading through what she'd found. Ava explained that Lucy had been flirting with one of the force's outsourced tech interns, a master hacker who helped them decrypt hard drives for a big case that involved a lot of online activity. Thanks to Lucy's charms and a few hundred dollars, the guy managed to hack into Inspector Liotta's e-mail and discover some interesting information.

First, an e-mail from Uncle Tomas regarding a scheduled meeting at Casigey Mall at 7PM next Wednesday. In the e-mail, Uncle Tomas enclosed a soft copy of a letter Rachel sent to him, pleading for his help in compiling evidence against Anderson.

To:

From:

Erick:

I'm available wed at 7pm. Dinner at the Habanero in Casigey Mall will do. We really need to meet. I'm afraid my soft copy of the documents are missing, but I found the letter Rachel sent me last year. Hope it's enough.

Tomas

May 15, 2013

Associate Judge Tomas Theroux

Shaleport Courthouse

City of Shaleport, Aviax Complex

Long Island, New York City

Dear Tomas:

I apologize for the abrupt change in tone, as I realize that this favor is honestly beyond any formality. Tomas, I honestly do not know where else to turn. I'm tired, hurt and fed up at what I've tolerated for twenty five years, and I want to do this. Anderson has not been the same man I have fallen in love with for years, and I just can't take it anymore.

I want to end it. I want to divorce him. Yes, Tomas. Divorce. In Honte, I know a great big sin but one that could honestly give me nothing more than the peace of mind I have needed for the last 10 years. I could bring this plea to any other judge in Shaleport, but you are the husband of my dearest friend, and I know you will keep discretion for my sake.

Since I found out about Marie Duchamp, I have done my own digging and uncovered information. More information that I would want you to see, that is if you would like to help me. Please, Tomas, I can turn to no one else. I have hurt myself for far too long and I want to get it over with.

I'll be honest, what I have might not be enough. But you might help me know more.

Shall you wish to help me, I'd like to get my information to you as quickly as I can. Just reply and I'll send it to the courthouse.

Rachel

Another e-mail came from the Shaleport Library security office that included the CCTV footage from the day of the accident. It was pretty late at night, but the video was clear enough that Rob was able to make out the car model.

"Dessy, doesn't that look like Grandpa Ryder's Buick?" Rob asked, pointing to the car trunk. "Look, you can even see the lump in the trunk from that time Uncle Yam kept his prized kegs in the back."

"It does look like it," Dessy said, her brow furrowed. She was still a bit shaken from reading Rachel's letter. "I'll drive over to Blesse tomorrow and check it out."

"I'll come with," Rob said.

Against my better judgement, I decided to be the one to stake out my uncle's meeting with Inspector Liotta at Casigey Mall along with Ava. I made an excuse to go shopping with her, riding with Uncle Tomas on the way to town.