Chapter Six

"He's downstairs."

I adjusted the hem of my dress and made sure that my straps were hidden before slowly navigating my way to the foyer where Henry waited. His nervous expression turned into a smile when we locked eyes.

"Hi."

"Hey," I smiled. I turned to Aunt Emma, who had the perfect expression of a doting mother plastered on her face. "I'll be home before midnight."

"Never mind, honey. You go have fun."

She led us right out the door where Henry's sports car was parked. He helped me inside and we drove away from the house.

"You look great," he blurted out.

"Thanks," I answered.

"Listen, I'm sorry about how awkward the invite was. But I hoped you liked the flowers."

"I did," I said. "It was actually kind of cute."

Henry's constipated expression turned into a smile. "Thanks."

The Red Fedora was a small and exclusive restaurant found in Aviax. Serving a mix of Japanese and French fusion dishes, the place was well known for being a proposal spot for most Honte residents. Bella and Giuseppe Santorini became notorious for having their lavish wedding reception at the normally tranquil location, which was eventually abandoned as a hangout spot by the conservative Honte Ladies Club.

Henry and I found a quiet table outside. We ordered the restaurant's fusion tasting menu and enjoyed apple vodka while we waited for our food.

"So, how have you been?" Henry asked. "We haven't exactly been able to talk since you got back."

"Well, I was supposed to go to London this year," I answered. "Log in a few hours working at some lowly publishing house, hopefully hook up here and there... "

"Sounds like a kickass summer break."

"It was supposed to be," I answered. "But Aunt Emma called me, I came back and now I'm thankful I did. Ava really got me there."

"I know," Henry said. "The last time we met in the city, she wasn't exactly in a romantic mood."

"Was that sometime after the Timothy Carter incident?"

Henry nodded. "I've never seen Ava so devastated. But enough about them... how are YOU?"

"I'm... surviving, I guess." I smiled awkwardly. "Being away from Honte has been a very... nurturing experience. No haters in NYU."

Henry laughed. "Very true..."

"How about you, golden boy? Is it med school or law school?"

"Honestly I wish I had to deal with neither," he answered. "I'm okay with the corner office in some finance company or something."

"But what will your mom think?"

"She'll live through it. My dad, on the other hand..."

"I'm sure you'll be great either way, Henry." I said, smiling. Henry smiled back.

"Thanks. Now if only Tris was that supportive I'd be doing a thousand times better."

I heard myself laugh nervously.

I was friends with Henry back in high school, but I never got close to his best friend Tristan Sorrel. Despite being the 'scion' of the richest family in Honte, president of both the honors society and the writers club, Tristan was quite the introvert, and he never kept a wide circle of friends. He was only close with Henry and Robert Evermore because they went to the same kindergarten.