CH 13: Morning Star

I walked up to Maryse. It has been a couple of hours after the whole wedding ordeal. Magnus is somewhere in the Institute doing who knows what, and Clary and Jace have decided to have a little conversation. Lord knows what they're talking about.

I cleared my throat. "Have you seen Lydia or spoken to her at all? No one has seen her since the wedding." It was silent for a couple of seconds. "Mom."

"Maryse," I suddenly hear my Dad say from behind me as walked next to me.

"Mom," I paused, licking my lips before continuing, "I know that you're mad and upset about the wedding, but-" I then stopped short as Mom put the computer she had in her hand down on the table.

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing," Mom then looked at me. "But kissing that warlock in front of the entire Institute? You've embarrassed all of us."

I scoffed. "Why? Because he's a Downworlder? A warlock?"

"No. The fact that he is a Downworlder is the least of my worries right now."

I looked at Mom and Dad and furrowed my eyebrows. "Then what's the problem?"

"That you chose Magnus Bane."

"His reputation precedes him," Dad added while shaking his head, "and even for a warlock, he's a bit of a lothario. Echo, there's so much that you don't know about him."

"Well then I plan to get to know him. And if both of you have a problem with it, sorry, but you're just gonna have to deal with it because nothing you do will stop me." I sighed before continuing, "now, I have to go find Lydia. Excuse me."

Before I walked off, mom said, "she's probably packing for Indris in your father's office. What she did-" I then cut Mom off mid-sentence.

"Saved my life. So now, I should go thank her." I then walked away from Mom and Dad, now going to go find Lydia.

As I was walking to Dad's office, where Lydia is, I suddenly ran into Magnus. I sighed as I leaned against the wall.

"On a scale of one to ten, how unpleasant was it?" Magnus asked.

"Honestly? Off the damn charts," I sucked in a breath, "I've never seen them this angry before. Well, unless you count that time in Indris where I accidentally set their room on fire, but that isn't the point." I heard Magnus chuckle a bit, which made me smile.

Magnus sighed, "Just give them some time."

I scoffed. "You're immortal. Time is always on your side." We both then started to walk to my Dad's office, "after what I did, I don't think they'll ever forgive me. No, scratch that. They will never forgive me."

"Don't underestimate a parent's love, Tris." We both then stopped as I turned and looked at Magnus. "You don't regret it, do you?"

I widened my eyes and furrowed my eyebrows. "How can you say that? Of course I don't regret it. If I didn't do what I did at the wedding, I would've regretted it for the rest of my life." I took small steps towards Magnus until our chests were touching, "you saved me, Magnus. You save my life from being a complete waste. I don't think words can describe how much I thank you."

Magnus smiled and cupped my cheek, "you have no idea how much you saved me."

We both looked at each other and subconsciously moved our faces close to each other until our lips were almost touching. I decided to be bold once again and make the first move, placing my lips on his.

The kiss wasn't like it was at the wedding, this one felt more softer and slower. It was like we both needed each other in a more emotional way, if that even makes sense. It felt like we were connected in a way. A way that is too hard for me to explain in words.