Chapter 63

Over the course of the next few weeks, the news coming into Wildwood became gradually more optimistic. It seemed that some of the reluctant lords had finally rallied to the king's cause and the forces from Scelus were being pushed from the country. New moderate treaties were being negotiated with the new emperor of Scelus and the other surrounding countries.

Inside the country, the king seemed to have finally come out from the shadow of his father and was finally gaining some popularity with his own people. Disloyal lords were having their estates and titles stripped from them and those same estates and titles were being rewarded to more loyal subjects who had remained true when all had looked its darkest. It seemed that peace was returning to Edelland.

Ildri did not feel at all peaceful. Certainly she was glad that the war seemed to be over but personally she felt as confused and conflicted and generally miserable as ever. Everything seemed to be working out well for everyone. The lord and lady of the castle seemed utterly blissful, Anya and Jim had announced that they would be married to a chorus of gagging from Damani and sighing from Kallie. Maxine was getting along beautifully with Allan and had spied them holding hands while searching for potion ingredients in the forest.

It was really the last straw. Allan, holding hands? She could not think of a more depressing sight.

At least she was not the only miserable person in the castle. Ty seemed to be as foul tempered as she was, followed around by a glowering Farrel. She wondered if the same things that were annoying her were annoying him. Or if it was she who was annoying him?

On several occasions he had tried to breach the subject of how her feelings for him were irelevant without actually telling him and failing that she had avoided it. She was certain he had feelings for her; she was not so stupid that she could not see that, but he refused to see why it would not work. He was nothing but a stubborn ass! A stupid, stubborn ass!

A stupid, stubborn ass who she could not seem to get out of her mind. It was the most frustrating thing she ever had experienced, and she had grown up in a castle run by Missus White.

As if thinking about the woman had summoned her, Ildri turned down a hallway and saw the very woman standing before her.

"Ildri," said the woman and Ildri wondered what she was going to be yelled at about. Instead the housekeeper simply said mildly, "The king has arrived at the castle an hour past. I believe there will be a few announcements in the large hall shortly."

"Thank you," Ildri said and watched as the housekeeper walked away. The woman had been far more tolerable since her words with Maxine. Ildri made a mental note to ask Maxine what had happened. Perhaps the domineering woman had finally met her match. Ildri knew for a fact that the two had shared tea on at least two separate occasions since the incident.

Ildri made her way to the hall and stood at the back of the room. It was quite crowded and probably explained the rushing in the hallway she had barely noticed while brooding.

More people came in and Ildri was certain that everyone from Wildwood castle and all the surrounding lands were there to hear their king speak. It was likely a good sign.

And then the king began to speak of his gratitude to the loyal people of Wildwood and his grief at their losses and the rewards which would be given. He formally pardoned Anya and some of the crowd even cheered which actually surprised Ildri since she knew she had not been the only one angry. He also formally recognized and rewarded her actions as well as many other people. Jim was awarded a barony, and shock and mild horror was obvious on his face. She doubted he would ever grow accustomed to being called Lord Jim, she thought with amusement.