2: New Job

In the two days that Lisa had lived with her new roommates so far, she had learned quite a few things about them.

Number one: Chaeyoung was the nice girl. She dreamed of white picket fences and big houses with green lawns. Lisa knew that she shouldn't judge her based on knowing her for only two days, but that's just how she came across. Not to mention, when Lisa met her boyfriend—Mino—with his puppy-dog-like smile and bright eyes, she could literally picture them living the suburban dream.

Number two: Jisoo was the party girl, judging by the number of drinks she'd had on Saturday night when it was just the five of them, the roommates and Mino, at the house, but also somehow the responsible one. It seemed like Chaeyoung helped out a lot, too, but when Jisoo explained to Lisa the groceries situation, it was very clear to her that the darker haired girl was very stringent on the few rules that the roommates had. The main rule was about food. Certain items were shared, like the almond milk that apparently all three girls drank regularly, while others strictly belonged to a single person. Those items were stored in certain parts of the fridge. Lisa's corner of the fridge was the one that was currently empty. As far as pantry foods, the same rules held, and each girl had a section of the pantry space for their foods.

Number three: Lisa had a big legacy to live up to. Irene Bae, the girl who had lived in her room previously, had been friends with the group through their first three years of college. More than that, all of these girls had been friends and living with each other for so long. Chaeyoung and Jennie had gone to the same high school and had met Jisoo and Irene, who'd also gone to high school together, when they came to college. And despite the fact that Chaeyoung and Jisoo seemed so close, and Lisa knew that Jennie and Irene were also really close, it seemed like Chaeyoung and Jisoo also really missed having Irene around, so Lisa knew that she was really important to all of them.

And lastly, number four: Jennie really meant it when she said that she didn't want to be friends with Lisa. She had said literally two words to her since the bathroom on Saturday morning, and they were "Excuse me," said when the two of them almost ran into each other on the stairs. They hadn't been said in a nice tone, either.

As annoying as that was, Lisa wasn't getting hung up on it. She wanted her new roommates to like her, of course, so that her living situation didn't have to be miserable, but she wasn't in the city to party and make friends. She was here for her first job experience, and she wanted to take it seriously, which is why she was up way too early on Monday morning, picking out her best business casual outfit—black slacks, a white top, and a blue blazer—and doing her makeup and curling her hair.

She wanted to pack herself a lunch for her first day, but she hadn't gone out to get groceries the day before—a mistake, she realized now—so she resolved herself to scoping out the options around the office.

She checked the time and the estimated distance to the office via the bus countless times as she ate a banana for breakfast—one of the shared items in the house, and then she finally left when her phone told her she would show up twenty minutes early.

She actually found herself getting a little less nervous during her walk to the bus stop, the bus ride, and then the short walk to the office building. She silently hyped herself up as she entered the building and headed to the elevator.

When she reached the fifth floor of Square Up, she found herself in a lobby like area, and a woman at a desk was typing furiously at her keyboard. Lisa hesitantly approached her, waiting patiently for her to be done with whatever she was typing. "Can I help you, ma'am?" the woman asked, not even looking away from the computer.

"Yes, I'm Lisa Manoban. I'm the new software engineer... I think I'm looking for the UI/UX team manager," Lisa told her, fumbling with her phone for a moment as she tried to find the guy's name. "Um... Jungkook Jeon?"