CHAPTER 1

The trees were shadows against the dark ground, the moonlight and stars being the only source of dim light. They stood out, exquisite against the velvety darkness.

"Only if she were as kind as the stars," she murmured, "Free of all the malignity that she has." She sighed, and pushed herself from the balcony railing back into the room.

"My lady, would you like some tea?"

Cold, silver-blue eyes turned to face the maid's pale face, which was white with terror.

"No, but thank you. You are now dismissed."

The maid hurried out, nearly stumbling when she got past the doorway. The overwhelming heat when she got out of the room hit her with a gasp, surprised by the sudden temperature change.

"You should learn to get out of my room without tripping. The change shouldn't be that shocking—you should know by now that I prefer chill over warmth."

She desperately wanted to object, but swallowed down the words and mumbled, "Y-yes my lady, I apologize for my clumsiness."

"I accept your apology. Now go."

The maid ran through the short corridor, frustration, fear, and anger flowing in and out of her until she stopped at the door of her room. No lock, no anything. A plain, maid's room. She pushed the door in. More plainness. As if it were the first time she noticed everything she was.

She was nothing.

The bed was slate grey, and the walls white. A small closet was on a wall, containing no more than eight pieces of identical clothing, all either smeared with grease from working in the kitchen, worn by water, or battered up.

The more she noticed herself, the more disgusting she thought of herself.

The maid clutched her dress until it was crumpled cloth. She found satisfaction out of it nevertheless.

Then she got up and walked through the door, slamming it behind her, staring at her feet as she walked.

"Katherine!" The voice echoed through the corridor, and she looked up.

"Katherine, it's so nice to see you again! I hope Evelyn's treating you well... you look a bit dull today... my sister's just unpredictable, isn't she?"

"Yes, very, miss."

"You know you don't have to call me miss."

"Vivienne, then."

"I'm guessing Evelyn mistreated you again today."

"When does she not?"

Vivienne frowned. "Katherine—"

"She always mistreats me—"

"Yes I know but—"

"And it's got to the point where I..."

"You?"

Katherine didn't respond, hesitating. Vivienne was caring towards her, but was she kind enough? If she told Evelyn, the one that was cruel, what would happen to her?

But if she was kind enough, telling her could only mean good things.

At least, that was what Katherine thought.

"I hate her," Katherine whispered, still afraid. She was always afraid around all of them.

Vivienne didn't respond for a moment, nor did she make any facial expressions. "I see," she said at last. "Lots of people hate her."