CHAPTER 10

Out of nowhere, there was a figure. A dark shadow. And something was perched on the figure's shoulder.

Vivienne was drowsy. No sleep was needed, but in a way she still got tired, and her focus was hard to contain, but when she saw the dark, ghostly figure walking her way, her eyes grew wide, and she uncrossed her legs, beginning to approach the figure.

Soon, she realized it was someone perhaps from her world—a man, about the same age as her, with a golden eagle perched on his shoulder, golden greenbriar twisted around one of his arms, wearing a coat of black leather, and fairly long gloves made of leather also woven with pure silver. His features were ghastly pulchritudinous, like those of the elves in Vivienne's world. The person's eyes were liquid golden, and his hair was slightly wavy and charcoal black.

"Who are you?" Vivienne asked at last.

"My name is Carlisle," he said, "And I come from the kingdom Aerriria. You?"

"Vivienne. You're here because you're dead, correct?" Vivienne said, a bit harshly.

"Indeed. Now, I haven't come here just for no reason."

The eagle on his shoulder flicked its head around.

"I would like to ask you a question." Carlisle said.

"Go ahead." Vivienne replied.

"Can you send people back into the living world?"

The silence that Vivienne produced was all he needed. "Then I have found the right person."

"You can send people back, as well?!" Vivienne said in disbelief. "So you're a prince...."

"Indeed."

"You said that you have found the right person. Explain that first, please." Vivienne said, still cautious.

"It'll be hard to explain—"

"Spit it out."

"Alright.

I came from the kingdom Aerriria, as I've said earlier, and I was a prince there. A prince until my father—the king—was killed by an assassin, and soon after, my mother was too.

I received the crown. I was to rule Aerriria, but I did not know how to, nor did all of the folks in Aerriria respect me.

The day before I was crowned, there was a voice ringing in my head, saying how I had a choice to die, and then I could send deceased people back to the living world. Or, of course, I could stay in the living world, in Aerriria, and rule the kingdom.

You could easily tell which one I chose.

Seconds before the crown was placed on my head, I was dead. Moments later, I was in the World of Roaming Souls. I had expected it, but not that it would happen so quickly, and so painlessly.

When I had just arrived, the voice said that my task was to find someone that was similar to me, who had the same power as me: to send people back to the living world. It said that we must combine our powers, and the essence of our souls, into something that... I'm not even sure—something that could destroy someone. If we don't destroy that someone, then more death will result because of that person, and the voice has stated that the person cannot be destroyed by any sword, any bow, anything, because the cruelty will always be there in the person: that is what keeps him, or her alive.

This eagle appeared after I arrived here, and it's been my guide ever since."

Vivienne was sure who the person was.

Evelyn.

Carlisle saw the expression on Vivienne's face. "What is it?"

"I know the person."

Carlisle looked shocked. "I think you're mistaken, miss,"

"She's my sister."

Carlisle shook his head. The golden eagle suddenly flapped its wings crazily.

"My sister. She kills. A lot of people have died because of her."

The eagle flapped its wings harder.

"You might be right," Carlisle murmured, "Perhaps it is your sister."

"I'm dead because of her!"

There was silence between them.

"We must destroy her," Vivienne said quietly.

Moments later, Carlisle spoke. "Do you even trust me?"

"In fact, not really," Vivienne remarked, "But no harm should come to me here."

Carlisle nodded.

"Is it possible for you to elaborate on 'combining our powers'?" Vivienne asked. "It's hard to understand. I have no powers—not ones that I know of other than sending people back, that is."

"I can do that, as well." Carlisle said.

Vivienne's shoulders slumped in disapproval. "That's your definition of 'powers'?"

"No, but we are royals, aren't we?"

Vivienne raised an eyebrow, "So all royals have powers in a way?"

"In Aerriria, yes."

Vivienne nodded.

To destroy Evelyn?

Vivienne never liked killing people, but—this time, she would be glad to do so.