Chapter 7

1889 - 17 years old

It had been two long, hard years for Helen and her mother. On top of the pelts she collected for money, Helen also began to sell the milk and cheese the cattle provided.

The new source of income did indeed help somewhat, they were able to afford warmer clothes for winter and seasonings for their meat. However, the price of medicine had gone up considerably, and even with their added income, it was still unaffordable.

Valentine had proven to be more equipped than Annesburg, and Helen's mother had been given better treatment. Her illness had subsided over the past two years, but it never truly went away. I should have taken her straight to Valentine.

She was stable for the time being, and Helen made sure she would stay that way. "Good morning, Ma," Helen greeted, kissing the top of her mother's head. "Good morning, darling." Helen reached for a roll of bread on the shelf, along with a few slices of cooked venison.

"Did you eat yet?" Helen asked, sitting down at the dining table. "Of course." The two of them then sat on in silence as Helen ate her breakfast. She glanced over at her mother, who was calmly reading a newspaper.

Her face had become more and more sunken in as time went on, and a new wrinkle would appear each day. Helen turned away to focus on her food, and she willed her raging thoughts to calm down. "Do you have anything planned for today, Helen?" her mother asked her.

Helen let out a hum, thinking for a moment. "I think I'll head into town again...yes."

~~~~

She left Daisy waiting behind the building, that way it would make leaving easier. Helen pulled her hat lower on her head, shoving her hands in her trench coat pockets.

There weren't many people out that morning, and the bank looked relatively void of clients. She breathed heavily through her bandana, her anticipation growing by the second.

Helen clutched her rifle in her hands as she barged into the bank with confidence. The skittish teller gasped at her entrance, his eyes wide in fear. "P-please...no...." he begged, his shaky hands raised in surrender. Helen merely chuckled as she approached the front desk slowly.

"Good morning, Clinton," she greeted icily, and aimed her rifle. "You know the drill."