Chapter 28

"Mac Callander is dead?" Helen stood under Dutch's tent, who had been speaking to Arthur when she arrived. Both men looked at her in shock as she explained what happened.

"Them Pinkertons killed him themselves, they said - Agent Milton," she said, then added, "They know y'all robbed some train and they CLEARLY know we're here!" Dutch stood up angrily, advancing on her.

"Were you followed back here?!" Helen scoffed, getting in Dutch's face; "How much of an idiot do you think I am?! I'd ha' blown their brains out if I didn't have the kid with me!" she spat back.

She held Dutch's glare evenly, refusing to back down, and she felt her cockiness bubble up. "They offered freedom if I brought you to 'em, Dutch, so be glad you ain't swingin'!"

Arthur finally intervened, pulling Dutch back; "There ain't no need to fight, we're on the same side," he said sternly. Helen let out a huff, turning away from them. "I'll let you kids get to your plannin'," she hissed, then stormed off.

Stupid, stuck up, useless, paranoid son of a - "Helen?" She spun around at the sound of her name. "What?!" Charles blinked in surprise at her tone, stopping in his tracks. Her shoulders slumped and she let out a sigh. "Ugh...I'm sorry, Charlie," she muttered.

Charles just smiled a little and waved her off; "You aren't the first one to get pissed off at Dutch," he said. Helen breathed out a laugh and shook her head, still feeling sheepish.

"Did you need somethin'?" she asked as the two walked off together. "Well, I was going to ask you to take my guard post, but now I'm worried you'll blow Dutch's head off," he teased.

Helen's jaw dropped in offense, making Charles laugh out loud and nudge her arm lightly. "I'm just messing with you - come on, I'll show you where to go."

~~~~

"Hey there, Helen." Javier approached Helen once the sun began to set, his rifle in hand. She smiled and waved, standing up from the rock she was sitting on.

"Your turn for the night?" she asked. "Yah, Bill's already asleep, hijo de puta," Javier grumbled. Helen chuckled lightly, patting him on the arm. "Watch out for Dutch, Arthur and John," she advised, then walked back into camp.

"That ankle's lookin' better," Sadie greeted, beckoning Helen to the stew pot. She joined Sadie, Tilly and a boy she hadn't met yet, and she tipped her hat to him. "You're Arthur's drinkin' friend - Lenny, right?" she asked.

The boy laughed, nodding happily and shaking her hand once. "Lenny Summers," he introduced. "Helen Matthews - you oughta tell me about that little Valentine escapade y'all had."

Suddenly, the ground began to tremble as a number of horses raced for camp. Pinkertons?! To her relief she recognized John and Strauss, followed by Dutch and finally Arthur.

Each man looked out of breath, Strauss looking borderline terrified, as they stepped down from their horses. "Everyone!" Dutch called, and the gang gathered around.

"We are moving out! So pack up your things - we're heading east!"