Chapter 41

Helen grumbled to herself the next day as she brought bags of food to the horses. "I have to stay and do stupid chores," she muttered, approaching the horses. "While Arthur gets to do all the important jobs with Dutch." She threw the bag down angrily, startling the horses nearby.

Kieran then peered around behind one horse, looking at her nervously. "A-are...i-is everythin' okay, M-Ms. Matthews?" he stuttered out. Helen's glare shifted to him, making him flinch. "How are you happy, stayin' in camp with the horses and never gettin' to go on a job?!" she spat out.

He looked taken aback by her question, carefully stepping out from behind the horse. "W-well...I love takin' care of horses, Ms. Matthews, a-and I ain't expectin' anyone to bring me along for a job, anyway," he replied honestly.

Helen let out a sharp huff and turned away, her anger simmering down. "I...I-I actually have to go into town a-and get some things for the horses. I-it ain't a job, but if it'll make ya feel better - "

Without hesitation, Helen cut him off and approached her horse. "Let's go, O'Driscoll!"

~~~~

When Helen and Kieran returned, she was surprisingly laughing. "I bet you musta smelled like horse shit for a week," she said, her laughter fading. Kieran chuckled in embarrassment as they dismounted their horses. "Y-yah, it weren't all that fun," he said.

Helen handed him the horse supplies, noticing his subtle wince. "How's that shoulder?" Kieran eyed her warily, rolling his shoulder a little. "Still aches a little...." he mumbled awkwardly. Helen pursed her lips and sighed, placing one hand on his back.

"I'm sorry for that, y'know. I see now that you ain't that bad of a man, and I ain't ever seen anybody here care for the horses like you," she told him. Kieran stuttered over his words as he blushed shyly.

"Th-thank you, Ms. Matthews." She grinned, patting his back and walking away as she said, "Helen." She walked into camp, greeting a few campmates as she looked around. Where is he? "You lookin' for that redskin?"

She froze at the sound of Micah's voice, and he slithered over to her side. "He ain't here, princess, but I am," he said with a wink. Helen glared at him, her fists clenched. "Unfortunately."

Micah chuckled, touching her arm; "Oh come on, darlin', don't be like that. I promise you'll have alotta fun with me," he purred. Helen suddenly aimed her revolver at his face, cocking it. "This seems much more fun to do instead," she spat.

Horse hooves caught the camp's attention, and Bill's voice rang out, "Hey, they're back! I think I see Jack!"