Chapter 15: That Was Not a Tree

I hate parties.

They're loud places, filled with alcohol, drugs, and stupid drunk boys. I can do without all three of them, except for maybe the alcohol. And the fact that I was at one when my parents died doesn't help. So when my best friend of three weeks suggests going to a party, I refuse. That's the smart thing to do. Nick won't bust my ass, I won't come home drunk and dark memories wouldn't resurface. But no. Criana just had to convince me to go. 

So I make my way downstairs, where Nick is typing away on a laptop. Busy as usual. I put on my best grin and make sure my eyes don't have daggers in them.

"Isn't it a lovely day?" I ask, my voice filled with a fake tone of cheer.

"Mhm," he mumbles, not looking up from his screen.

My voice goes strained, "The skies are blue, and birds are chirping."

"Its freezing, Jules. And the sky is grey." I can hear the smirk in his voice. So he's doing this on purpose. I drop my cheery tone and grit my teeth, sighing.

"Can I go to a party on Sa-" He cuts me off, that asshole.

"No." He doesn't even look up, pissing me off even more.

"What! Why?! You didn't even consider it!"

"I said no, Jules," he sighs.

"But you haven't let me do anything fun! You're so fucking busy all the damn time." I stare at him, waiting for a reaction. Lucky for me, I get one.

His eyes snap to mine, a warning hidden in them. "Don't swear or raise your voice at me."

"Oh, so now you look at me," I snort, turning away.

His features soften, "Look, I'm sorry kid, but I'm super busy this week, and," he sighs, running a hand over his face, "and, I won't be here on Saturday because of work. So I trust you'll handle yourself well, okay? 'Cause if not, I'll drop you off at Mike's house." He must see the horror on my face because he laughs. "He's not that bad."

I like Mike, I really do. But the fact that Nick threatened me with a babysitter  is too much.

"What do even do for a living?" I ask, my curiosity peaked. In the three weeks I've known him, Nick hasn't talked about his job once. The man's got a three-story house for fucks sake. What could he possibly be doing to earn this much money?

Oh no, he better not be dealing children on the black market. Nick smirks-again-before smiling, "That's for me to know, and you to, well, if possible, never find out." I blink in shock, but Nick has already resumed his loud typing.

Ever since he said he would be gone for a day, a plan has been forming in my head. If he's gone on Saturday, and the party's also on Saturday, that means...I can sneak out! Yes! Finally, something decides to go my way! All I have to do is stay on his good side until tomorrow. If I do, he won't drop me off at Mike's, and I'll get to sneak out!

-----

The sky had barely turned a light shade of pink when Nick left. He left a note on the counter which I had yet to read. It was an hour before Criana showed up, dragging a lousy-looking Zach and a tidy looking Noah with her. "What did you do to look like shit?" my voice comes out sharper than I intended but Zach doesn't seem that bothered.

"What does it look like idiot? I sure as hell didn't play hide and seek with a bunch of toddlers."

"It looks like you played tea party instead." I push past him, making sure I close the giant oak doors behind me. "Juliaaaa," Criana whispers, pushing Zach behind us, "Don't be mean."