Chapter 4: The unexpected

I wake up in a cold sweat.

Gazing out my window I find that it is still night. Darkness floods my room as I stumble for the light switch near the door. When I finally find it, the brightness is a shock to my eyes. It's 2:17 and I'm currently wide awake. 

How fun. 

With nothing better to do with my time, I start unpacking my stuff, not that there's much anyway. Pulling out some old rags I call clothes, I start folding them ready to store away in my dresser. I also find some strawberry gum I didn't know I had and my headphones. Carefully I pull out the last thing, a little bracelet with a saying engraved on a small charm shaped like a heart.

It was a little gift from my parents when I was really young, the saying goes something like this, "Real family does not come from blood. It is the people standing behind you when no one else is."

I glance at the clock hoping at least an hour has passed, but of course, no less than 8 minutes have gone by. I guess a little exploration won't hurt anyone. I quickly make my way down to the library 'cause like why not. Slowly, I make myself comfortable with a book in my hands and before I know it I fall asleep for a second time without trying.

What wakes me up this time are the sun's rays that fall into the room casting the eerie shadows of the night away. Looking around I find a clock which shows its now a good time to wake up. After stretching my legs I hear footsteps leading up to this room. A head pokes in, it's Nick.

I'm greeted by his warm eyes and playful smirk.

 "Mornin' sleepyhead, I thought I'd find you in here. Come on down, breakfast is ready." 

I rub the sleep out of my eyes and close the book, ignoring him and carrying it with me to my room. When I go down for breakfast I find a warm plate of bacon and eggs with a side of toast and OJ. My mouth waters just at the sight of it. I sit down and literally inhale it in one breath. I look around for Nick but can't spot him anywhere.

As I get up, Nick suddenly walks in the room all dressed up in a shirt and khakis. I yawn and make my way up to my room when a voice suddenly calls out, "Julia, you forgot to put the dishes away."

"No, I didn't forget to put the dishes away I just didn't want to" I retort. I hear a sigh and the clunking of dishes being loaded into a dishwasher.

As I sit in my bedroom with my music blaring in my ears, reading my book, Nick peeks in and asks me where all my stuff is.

"Don't have any" I reply with an additional eyeroll.

"Julia..." he says concerned, "Do you not have any clothes or belongings?"

I don't need his damn pity. I don't need his posh house. I don't need his stupid food. Fuck, I don't even want his kindness or love.

"Would you stop pretending like you care! Like you even give a shit about me or how I feel. I don't want you to butt in my life, I can take care of myself! Just...just get the fuck out of my room."

The expression on Nick's face is dead cold. His eyes are like pits of ice so that when I stare at them, I can't help but have a sense of doom.

"I understand what you're going through right now but,"

"How in the world would you, no, could you possibly understand what I'm going through now. I lost my parents when I was 11, lost my best friend when I was 13, I lost my whole entire life. You couldn't possibly understand Nick," I scoff. His eyes turn a deeper shade of blue which makes me shudder.

"Julia," he said in a lower voice, "Get up." Slowly he slid his leather belt from his waist and unbuckled it. A feeling came over me, one that I had grown nearly immune to, fear.