Chapter 6

A/N: When I started writing this, I’ll admit I wasn’t sure, but now I think that this is an AU universe where Dan and Phil have pretty much the same friendship, but they’re not on YouTube.

Chapter 6

Dan’s POV

It wasn’t the first time someone had assumed we were together, that day at Disneyland. And it wasn’t the last. The next day at the restaurant, a giggling waitress had brought us a candle, “for you and your date.” I’d insisted that Phil and I weren’t together, despite the fact that we were feeding each other breadsticks at the time. I mean, it wasn’t romantic or anything stupid like that. It was just us being stupid and childish, like usual. I’d glanced at Phil then, but he was avoiding my gaze.

I got the sinking feeling that we’d need to talk- that he’d want me to lay off being so touchy-feely and, well, if I was honest, a little gay with him. I didn’t know where he stood in that whole palaver; I’d never asked him, not even the day when the woman had…

Well, I didn’t like to think about that, to relive the way tears had gathered in his eyes, with only me to try and repair the damage.

The first time someone had assumed we were a couple, it was my own Mother. The third time she met Phil, after we’d moved in together, she’d taken me aside in the kitchen after our meal and had asked me, straight out. I still remembered the conversation.

“Dan, you know I love you, and you can tell me anything, right?”

“Yeah, Mum.”

“No matter what.”

“’Course. Where d’you want these dishes?”

“Dan, are you seeing Phil?”

“’Seeing’? What? Oh…no!”

“Are you sure? Because…”

“Because what? We’re best friends Mum, that’s all!”

“Because of the way he looks at you, Dan, it’s like the sun shines out of your arse! And whether you realise it or not, you return the favour! You’re so protective of him and you never leave each other’s sides. For God’s sake, you were sitting on his lap not ten minutes ago!”

“There’s nothing going on, Mum.”

“Does he know that?”

“Yes! Of course he does!”

“Just…be careful with him, okay?”

I’d seemed so defensive, but that was only because I was scared. What if Phil thought we were becoming too close, and he left me? I knew we didn’t act like normal best mates, but that was fine for me. I enjoyed being close to people, and I loved Phil. He could make me smile when everyone else would make me yell. He smelled like the girly shampoo that he used and he was warm and cuddly. It never crossed my mind that it might bother him, but the conversation with my Mum had brought that to the forefront of my mind- the thought that my closeness might drive Phil away.

But that night, nothing changed. I lay on top of him on the sofa while we watched Glee (as I’ve said before, we’re not particularly heteronormative. We watch Glee, deal with it), he stroked his hands through my hair and kissed my forehead before he went to bed.

Totally normal.