Chapter 2

Chapter 2

When I woke up, it was to the shrill, nasal buzzing of an alarm clock that Phil must have set after I collapsed into bed last night.

“Phiiiiiiiiiiiiiil,” I whined. “Make it stopppppppp.”

I felt a body shift next to me, and knew that Phil was instantly awake, as usual. I felt a bit...lonely after I felt his weight leave the large double bed, and that was stange. It wasn’t like we’d gone to sleep curled in each other’s arms or anything. It was a necessity to share a bed in a hotel as crappy as this one.

“No way, sunshine,” I heard him say, the rustle of clothes making me strangely eager to open my eyes. “We’re going to DISNEYLAND!”

Trust Phil to be enthusiastic at eight in the morning. In all honesty, though, I loved it when he was all child-like like that. The way his blue eyes lit up and he looked like a six-year-old on Christmas morning.

“Shut up,” I moaned, rolling over and shielding my face from the intruding light with my pillow.

“Dan, do you want to go to Ecpot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios today? We have four tickets, but which one do you think we should go to first?”

“Animal Kingdom,” I mumbled into my pillow, wanting to annoy Phil by making him go to the worst one first. Not that Animal Kingdom was bad...Just not quite as good as the others.

***

Somehow, half an hour later, I was strapped into a rental car, with Phil driving to...

“Magic Kingdom?” I questioned, as we passed the sign.

“You didn’t really think I was going to listen to a word you said?” Phil answered, chuckling.

“Why did you ask me, then?” I grumbled.

“It’s called being polite. You should try it sometime.”

***

We parked in the Pluto section of the car park, which I knew from experience meant the place was already desperately busy. Catching the ferry rather than the monorail (I’ve always had a soft spot for watching the castle seemingly rise out of the water as I watch the lake from the ferry), we get into Magic Kingdom later than Phil would have wanted. I felt a pang of guilt- this was his first time, after all.

“Okay, we have to go on Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and the Buzz Light-year game, where I guarantee I will whip your ass,” I said purposefully, leading Phil through the ticket barrier before he could freak out about the claustrophobic conditions.

“Space Mountain is the rollercoaster, right?”

“Yep.”

“Splash Mountain is a log-flume.”

“Yeah.”

“And Buzz Light-year is the shooting game?”

“Uh huh.”

“You’re such a boy, Dan.”

“Why, do you wanna go on the carousel?”

 ***

A bucket of candyfloss and a giddy Space Mountain ride later, and we were strolling down the ‘High Street’, Phil begging me to take more money out of the budget to buy a rainbow ‘lanyard’ and various Disney themed pins. I relented around lunchtime, on the condition that a got to buy one myself. We looked through the pins on a stall, and Phil was practically in heaven, it seemed, buying almost too many to fit on his lanyard. I laughed at his choices, most of which were less than masculine.

“Baby Disney Princesses, Phil? Really?”

“Jealous,” he teased as we walked away from the stall, hand in hand.

“Why, because people might actually believe I belong to my gender,” I joked.

“Ouch, harsh,” Phil laughed.

But my good day came to an abrupt stop when I heard the voice behind us.