| xix: taint |

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires."
― William Shakespeare

PS: Pls check the author's note at the end of this chapter. It's very important.

 It's very important

Mumbai, India

With each stride, my mind became clearer, more resolute as I walked away from Aditya's house. The officer walked behind me; his hawk eyes trained everywhere, looking for any possible danger. I peered over my shoulder and looked at the home opposite his. The light was gleaming out of one of the windows. A familiar shadow lurked behind the curtains, making me sigh in despair.

I had stayed with that woman in the very same house for eighteen long years. I knew it was her. She was aware that I was in Mumbai. Thank goodness she didn't approach me or call me. I didn't have any patience left with me to fight with her.

The house was left long behind, and I was walking on a familiar street. If Aditya's mother hadn't called me for dinner, I would have definitely eaten those panipuris from the stall on the opposite side of the road. My eyes widened at the panipuri stall where people happily ate the snack, asking for more. The water dripping from the puri made my mouth water, and I quickly averted my eyes from the stall and moved ahead towards the house where I was staying.

The main door of the Tyagi house was wide open. Squinting my eyebrows, I entered the house and noticed Di, Jiju, and Vihaan sitting on the couch of the living room with a grim expression on their faces. My eyes squared on Di, who was looking impatient, tapping her feet on the floor, constantly watching something on her phone.

"Hello?" I carefully called out, waiting for them to notice my presence.

Anika Di saw me first and sprang up from her seat, dashing towards me, taking me in her embrace. Wet drops made the skin on my shoulder warm, making me bewildered. I broke the hug and held on to her, looking at her expression. Her eyes were starting to get swollen as continuous tears fell from her eyes. My palms cupped her cheeks, wiping the tears off her face and engulfing her in another hug.

What's wrong? I mouthed Jiju and Vihaan, who just shrugged, the solemn expression never leaving their face.

"Di, it's okay. Stop crying." I soothingly rubbed my hands on her back, shushing her.