Chapter 8 - Strike And Score

But Juniper's decision was not taken into consideration.

Excitement radiated from every person in the Great Hall during the morning of the first Quidditch game of the season, filling the air with thrilling happiness and anticipation.

Juniper was excited, loving the thrill of the game Gryffindor versus Slytherin. She and her group of friends always procured to remain impartial, and would have placed some statistically made bets if Maverick hadn't prohibited them to do so that day. He was way more nervous than when he had to play, already worrying about the state of his rivals. He stared at the team's tables, trying to guess who the new additions were.

"A lot of people are missing, I can't be sure," he mumbled, squinting his eyes towards the Gryffindor table.

"Relax, Captain, this isn't even your game," laughed Judson.

"But it's the perfect opportunity to analyze their strategies, team coordination—"

"Yes, we get it," started Juniper, shaking Maverick's shoulder, "but try to have fun, yeah? Your team is great, too."

"Is your Gryffindor friend on the team, Callister?" He asked, completely ignoring all she was saying.

"Remus?" Juniper held a snort.

"No, the other one. Black," he said selflessly, eyes still locked at the far end of the hall.

Juniper cleared her throat. "Dunno," she said. "And we're acquaintances, not friends."

"Whatever. Will you help me break down their games?" Maverick asked, refocusing on his breakfast. "I'll take Gryffindor, you take Slytherin."

Juniper pulled a slightly disavowal grimace, but agreed anyway. Maverick celebrated.

They took their time to get to the Quidditch pitch. Juniper even went back up to her dorm and picked up hers and Judson's scarves.

Maverick had gone straight down and saved seats for both of them. As usual, they were seated almost exactly in the middle, in order to have the best sight of the teams. Ophelia got there with Uma a moment later and took a pair of seats behind them. It was not long until joyful spectators surrounded them, and chorused along with the chants.

It was very cold. It seemed like it would start pouring rain at any moment, the wind racing fast. Juniper tied her scarf tighter, and brought Judson and Maverick closer to her so she would be warmer as they waited for the game to start.

The first team to enter the pitch was Slytherin, causing the people from across the grandstands to chant lively. The Gryffindors booed, including Maverick, which made Judson and Juniper laugh.

"You were supposed to be impartial!"

"Shut up, Jud."

Juniper took the pair of binoculars that Maverick had lent her, and looked at every single player of the team. She identified all their positions, but only recognized one player: Regulus, from the Slug Club.

The next on the pitch was Gryffindor, and she only noticed when the people on the same grandstand as them began to scream airly.

With the binoculars still up, Juniper observed how they all entered and took their positions. She spotted James taking a quick leap around the pitch and giving the team some encouraging words. She figured he was the team captain, and Maverick must have gotten to the same conclusion, because she heard him snort at her side. But before James flew his way to his chaser spot, he patted a player on the shoulder a little rougher than necessary, making both of them laugh. That was when she noticed Sirius.