Chapter 30 - Brand New Eyes

To say that Sirius was excited for Christmas that year was an understatement. It was the first time he wasn't spending the holidays with his horrid family, joining James and his parents in their celebrations. He couldn't wait to have big snowball fights in the Potter's garden and drink Euphemia's marvellous hot chocolate James always bragged about.

The only thing he was regretting was the fact he couldn't take Juniper with him.

"James is inviting the boys over one weekend. Maybe you can ask Moony to bring you with him," Sirius had proposed to her on one cold December night, both hugging under a blanket he'd stolen from his common room, while they rested after hours of investigation.

She gave him a pitiful smile. "No, Sirius."

"Why not? I can protect the house without James' parents noticing. And if something were to happen, I'm sure everyone will be—"

"No, Sirius," Juniper interrupted him, holding his hand, "you're not getting it. I'm not going to Remus' house this time. I'm staying here. It's the safest choice."

Sirius looked at her in silence. He let out a defeated sigh, knowing she was right.

"Is anyone else staying? Gallagher? Ogden?" Juniper shook her head. "You'll be alone, then."

"I can manage." Juniper shrugged, yet her gaze dropped to the floor.

"I could write to James' parents," Sirius thought out loud, scratching his chin. "I'm sure they'll understand if I tell them I want to stay."

"What?" Juniper almost broke her neck from how fast she turned her head to look at him. "No. Sirius, I'll be fine."

"But I don't want to leave you alone."

The grip on her hand tightened as they stared at each other. Sirius was familiar with the feeling of loneliness, the irrevocable void it left in the heart. Juniper was going to be exposed to all kinds of thoughts of solitude, and he wanted to fight those away by her side. He wished someone had done the same for him.

"Remus has already tried to convince me," Juniper began, soothing her tone, "and the answer's still no. I don't want to burden anyone else."

"You're not—"

Sirius got interrupted by a soft kiss, leaving his words hanging in the air. He gave in, because how could he not, even though the urge to insist hadn't vanished.

"I'll be fine," Juniper whispered over his lips, her fingers rubbing the back of his neck in reassurance. Sirius admitted to having picked a losing battle.

The food Sirius had stolen from the kitchens remained on her plate, untouched, as her mind wandered around the same ideas again and again. With one hand supporting her face, Juniper stared at the big windows, the snow glistening on the stained glass, and the wind making the trees dance in the distance.

Sirius retraced her profile with his eyes as she remained still. For a reason not even him was ready to admit, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He stared at her eyebrows, narrowed as she thought, her eyes, slightly squinted, and her moles, that if he analysed them as a whole, he could see the outer space, full of stars forming constellations just for him.

He studied her in silence, until he noticed movement beside her. The water from her goblet was growing, escalating through the air, forming spirals above the surface and sprinkling drops around the table. Juniper tilted her head, still focused on the trees, and the distorted shapes twirled to the side, as if being pulled by a magnet.

Even though the spirals of water got higher, bigger, and twisted bolder, Juniper was still unaware. Sirius frowned as the water meandered around Juniper's head, leaving the glass completely dry and empty.