Chapter 15 - The Intruder

Sirius' week was not that agonizing. He kept the routine almost intact, leaving the bare minimum time to study for his O.W.L.s. Alongside James, they had been planning on their moves to their last Quidditch match of the season, and, coincidentally, the one that defined the winner of the cup.

Quidditch had always helped Sirius to control his emotions. Hitting a bludger every couple of seconds made him release his frustrations, and even more now that he had to clear his mind to set everything back to normal between him and Remus. Or as normal as it could get.

One day, after their practice, James came up with a plan that could get them above Ravenclaw's game and potentially make them win the cup. It was mad, even in Sirius' eyes, but he was in right away.

James and Sirius were hiding behind a bush, with a clear view of the Ravenclaw's changing rooms.

"I only have one question," commented Sirius. "Who would tell a dog a top secret strategy?"

"Gallagher, hopefully," said James, concentrating on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team entering the changing rooms after their most recent practice.

"They are going to kick me out as soon as I get in."

"Now, go! It's the perfect time!" he hissed after the last member of the team entered, looking at his watch.

"They'll know it's me!"

"Who'd suspect a dog?" James rolled his eyes and patted Sirius hard in the back. "Go! Remember, listen carefully to every move and tactic they'll use. We have to win the cup!"

Sirius transformed into his Animagus form and ran inside Ravenclaw's changing rooms.

He followed the sound of singing boys in the showers, and just stood there, hoping to be able to listen to anything at all. But the boys just kept singing. Sirius waited, but nothing happened.

That was until two boys came out of the changing room, and encountered Padfoot face to face. He recognized Maverick instantly, but did not know who the other boy was.

The Ravenclaw captain gasped. "Oh sweet Lord, it's a puppy!"

Not. A. Puppy. He thought. Padfoot is a big dog. He barked.

"Are you lost, mate?" Maverick asked the dog as he approached him and scratched him on the head. "Are you cold?"

Padfoot barked again. He laid on the ground, begging the boy to scratch his belly. This wasn't in his plans, but it was a good outcome anyway.

"Mav, I'm gonna get going," said the other boy, starting to walk away. "Have to study."

"Yeah, okay," said Maverick again, completely invested in scratching Padfoot's belly. As he should. "Who's a good boy?"

Padfoot barked again. He bowed playfully and wagged his tail. Maverick laughed. Maybe if he lured him into playing, he'd give up and tell Padfoot all his secrets. Padfoot was a good boy, after all.

Maverick started chasing him around, but Padfoot was faster. The fastest, in fact. He could not get caught.

"What are you doing?" A girl asked, interrupting their game and making the boy stop. She gasped and smiled when she saw the dog, and started petting him. Sirius identified her as one of the chasers of the team; he'd thrown several bludgers at her, but she'd always managed to dodge them perfectly. "Whose dog is this?"

Maverick greeted while panting. "Dunno, just appeared here. I reckon he's lost."

"He doesn't have a name tag," the girl pointed, checking the dog's neck. She shrugged before talking again, "Mav, I wanted to ask you something about the match. You know, strategy-wise."