Chapter Twenty-Five: The Appointment

Marco grinned lacing his fingers with Aoife as they walked into the doctor’s surgery, they had an appointment to make sure that the baby was okay and he was so excited to see their baby for the first time.

After the argument between Aoife and her family, Marco had done his best to distract his wife not wanting to stress her out; he knew that she was angry with Belle and he didn’t blame her after what her sister had done.

“I can’t believe that we finally get to see them,” Marco mused looking at Aoife, they had no idea what the baby would be and they were hoping to find out today so that they could start thinking about names.

Marco had taken to using gender-neutral terms when speaking about their baby, he didn’t want to get his hopes up either way; he was so excited and couldn’t wait to get to work on the nursery for their baby.

Aoife laughed softly and nodded her head, she was excited as well and she doubted that anything could make this moment better; she was sure that Marco would be a wonderful father to their unborn child.

“What do you think it will be… a little Marco or a little Aoife?” Marco asked curiously, they quickly checked in and moved to sit down knowing that their early morning appointment was a good idea since they had yet to announce that they were expecting their first child.

“I don’t mind… either would be nice, what would you like?” Aoife asked sure that Marco would want a son to follow in his steps, she wasn’t even going to think about the child that Belle was carrying right now.

Marco smiled like an idiot, he had been doing so much thinking since they had found out Aoife was expecting their first child; he had no idea what they would have but as long as the baby was healthy that was all that really mattered to him.

“I want a little girl,” Marco revealed a little embarrassed, he looked down at his hands sure that Aoife would tease him a little; he would love a son but he wanted a daughter to spoil rotten.

Aoife blinked surprised, she hadn’t been expecting him to say that since she would have thought that he would want a son to play football with; she saw him playing with Nico and she hoped he’d do the same one day with their baby.

“Mrs Reus,” called the doctor making the couple look over at him, they got to their feet knowing that they had been waiting for this since they had found out that they were expecting.

Aoife laced her fingers with Marco’s, she remembered how excited and happy Manuela had been when they had stopped by to tell her and Thomas that she was pregnant; she wasn’t entirely comfortable with her in-laws but she was learning to cope.

“Gutten morgen Mrs Reus… let’s get some tests done shall we,” the doctor mused checking Aoife’s file on his computer when they were in his office, he was aware that they hadn’t found out until late into the pregnancy that they wanted to be sure that everything was okay.

Marco ran his fingers through his hair as he moved to sit down, he adored the bump that Aoife now carried; he could only imagine how much bigger she would get as their baby grew bigger inside of her.

Aoife nodded her head, she was a little nervous and she hoped that their baby was okay; she wished that she had noticed her pregnancy sooner and worried that she might have done something to hurt their baby.

Marco watched her as the doctor started to take her blood for a sample, there was so much to do for their baby and he was going to make sure that Baby Reus had everything that they could ever want or need when they were born.

***

“Everything looks good,” the doctor said looking over the results, Aoife’s pregnancy was going along well and he was pleased with what was happening; there was very little left to do now and then the couple could head home.

Marco sighed in relief, he had been so worried that there would be something wrong and he was glad that their baby was doing so well; he was excited about the next part since it would be the first time that they got to see their little baby.

Aoife sat on the examination table, she moved to lay down and pull her top up a little bit so the doctor had access to her stomach; she peeked at Marco knowing that they had been waiting for this moment.

“The gel might be a bit cold,” the doctor warned before squeezed a bit on to Aoife bump, he peeked at the screen while Marco took his wife’s hand in comfort.

There was silence for a moment before their baby’s healthy heartbeat filled the room, Marco blinked feeling tears fill his eyes; he couldn’t believe that he was getting so emotional over a heartbeat.

Aoife squeezed her husband’s hand while she stared at the screen, she couldn’t believe that she was seeing their baby for the first time; she swallowed feeling like she would cry at the sight of her tiny baby.

“Would you like to know what you are having?” the doctor asked turning to look at the couple, the baby looked fine and he was sure that there was nothing wrong with Baby Reus; he could imagine how much of a shock it had been for the couple to find out that they were going to have a baby.

Marco and Aoife looked at one another, they had talked about it and were sure that they did want to know what they were going to have; they wanted to prepare for their baby’s birth as much as possible.

They might have had twenty-two weeks left of their pregnancy but it wasn’t going to be long, they needed to get a nursery ready and have everything prepared.

“We would,” Marco said nodding his head, he swallowed knowing that in a couple of minutes they would know for sure what they were going to have; he kissed Aoife’s hand not really able to look away from the screen.

The doctor nodded his head before turning to look at the screen, he furrowed his brow trying to get a good look then he consulted with the notes that he had from Aoife’s blood work.

“It appears Mr and Mrs Reus… that you are having a baby girl,” the doctor announced turning to look at the couple, who stared at him allowing the news to sink in that they were going to have a beautiful healthy baby girl in September.

Aoife closed her eyes allowing the news to settle, she couldn’t believe it and she was so happy; she felt Marco kiss her knowing how much he had wanted this, she looked at him hoping that this was all going to be okay.

“We’re having a girl,” Marco whispered happily, he hadn’t felt like this when Belle had told him that she was having a girl; he didn’t even care what her baby was right now only that his baby with Aoife was going to be his daughter.

Marco kissed Aoife again, he wasn’t going to allow anyone to take away how he felt right now; he was going to be a father and that was what mattered to him.

September was still four months away and Marco doubted that it would be long until Baby Girl Reus would appear; she was due closer to October and Marco didn’t care, he would take time off to be with Aoife when their daughter was born.

Aoife rested her head against Marco’s, she prayed that nothing took this away from them and she hoped that Belle’s child was David’s; they were happy and she wanted fate to ensure that they stayed that way.

Baby Girl Reus deserved better than to being born into a mess that her aunt had caused by being selfish.