extra (2) national qualifying

amaya's point of view

"thank you," i say, walking away from the sign-in table and into the doors to the stadium, followed by my parents, keiko, and my personal coach. i put the lanyard they gave me around my neck as i stand by the railing, overlooking the huge ice rink surrounded by what seems like thousands of rows of seats.

today is the national qualifying tournament for miyagi figure skaters. and... of course, it just had to be the same day as tobio and the team's final game in the miyagi spring national qualifying tournament.

i really wanted to see them play shiratorizawa.

i have faith that they'll win, but i also can't help but to feel nervous for them. i'm sure they're feeling the same way, though.

kiyoko, yachi, and i all took about a book's worth of notes on shiratorizawa for the team, so i definitely know how hard it's going to be for them today.

nonetheless, i might be biased, but i think our boys are gonna win.

it's been about three months since i started dating tobio. over that time, we've both started opening up to each other more. this morning, on the phone, he told me he didn't feel all that anxious about his game, but he would be thinking about me constantly which made my heart just about explode.

obviously i'm thinking about him, too. i just can't help it. i wonder if he's getting tired right now. or if they've won a match. i just can't bring myself to check on the livestream. it makes me too nervous.

i'm broken from my thoughts when the announcer speaks, his voice catching the entire stadium's attention.

"welcome, welcome, everyone to the girls' national qualifying tournament! today we will be selecting the miyagi representative who will be traveling to nationals this spring. we've had 18 entries today, and only one will make it!"

i take a deep breath.

one.

"the order will be determined alphabetically. we will call one person to the rink and the next in the queue to the deck to get ready. starting off first, is amisaki sakuro! can we have azuma ryoko on deck please?"

great. i'm gonna be toward the end.

more time to sit and let my anxiety brew.

this sucks.

the girl's music starts playing and she skates out onto the rink, starting her routine.

we sit through what feels like hours of performances before finally, we hear,

"up next is shinkai hideyo! can we have sugihara amaya on deck please?"

of course i'm behind hideyo. of. course.

my heart starts beating frantically as keiko and my parents wish me luck. coach and i make our ways down to the deck as hideyo starts her routine.

i wish tobio was here.

i wonder how he's doing. the game should be over by now, right?

SHY ⋆ kageyama tobio ✔︎ On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara