nine

It was the click of the gun and the cold metal against the back of his head that broke apart Thomas and Angelina's kiss.

Angelina stood frozen, her eyes wide but locked on Tommy's, afraid to take a look at who it was that was holding the gun to his head.

Tommy held her gaze. He cleared his throat.

"How can I help you, Mr Kimber?"

Tommy didn't move. He stayed still, not changing his glance. He was confident, yet still decided that he'd like Angelina to be the last thing he saw if he were to die right then. The moonlight was shining through the crack in the curtains from the front window, casting a broken shadow across Angelina's face. She looked beautiful.

"I think you know, Tommy."

"If this is about the races I'd much more prefer it if we spoke over a drink. I have a bottle of Port in the pub that I think you'd enjoy a glass of."

Angelina watched as Tommy swallowed his pride when the gun was pressed harder into the back of his skull. He didn't look afraid, though.

"If I wanted to sit and drink with a pikey I would've come and put a gun to your head in the pub, wouldn't I?"

Whoever this Mr Kimber was, definitely wasn't from Small Heath. Angelina hadn't heard anybody with his accent before.

"And did you bring your assistant, Mr Kimber?"

"What? No."

"Then how on earth do you propose we come to an agreement when your little hermit isn't by your side, eh? I know he's the brains behind all this."

Angelina wasn't sure what to do. She didn't know whether to scream, to run upstairs and lock herself in her room, or to do something else entirely. Though it turned out, she couldn't do anything. She was frozen to the spot, and couldn't bare to be the first of the two to break eye contact.

"I'm on to you, Shelby. 10AM in your brother's shabby little pub."

Tommy's body lurched as Mr Kimber gave him one last shove before retreating, taking his gun with him and disappearing before Angelina could even see his face.

A million words struggled on Angelina's lips. Thoughts were racing through her mind, desperately wondering if this was the same kind of situation that her brothers found themselves in through their work.

"Would you like to come inside? I can make-"

"No."

Thomas straightened his coat. He pulled out a case from the inside pocket, picking out a cigarette and lighting it, shaking the match out in the cool air.

Angelina just nodded, bowing her head slightly. Thomas was perhaps the first gentleman to ever reject that invitation. She wasn't sure what was supposed to happen next.

"Goodnight, Angelina. Lock your door."

Tommy turned on his heels and took a step away from Angelina's front door. He heard her sigh and begin to close the door, so he turned back around to say something he'd been debating.

"Miss Santoro?" He called out.

Angelina paused, peeking her head around the door that was now open just ajar.

"I don't want you to see him again."

"The man with the gun?" Angelina responded.

"No," Thomas shook his head, "Jude Lancaster."

+

Angelina was on her way to meet Charlotte at the pub the following day when Arthur ran across the street to meet her.