Chapter 3

Harlow Jordan.

The name fluttered through Aspen's mind like a sweet kiss. She was an adorable girl. She was a lot shorter than him, and had rounded, soft features, plus the prettiest chocolate eyes.

He couldn't believe it. After all of this time he had his mate.

He had left her to rest in his bed after she had slumped forward at the ceremony.

He was pissed to say the least. That official had no right to lay a hand on her. She didn't even leave the building. He had to have a serious talk with them about their tactics. No wonder humans thought so lowly of them.

As the sun rose above the horizon, Aspen got up from the couch he was resting on.

He never spent the day in his house, normally he would be out training by now.

He scrounged around in his fridge. Did humans like different foods then his kind or was he being an idiot?

Harlow woke up like she slept on a cloud, but her face ached. She probably slept on the sore cheek.

Disgustingly and gratefully, she was still in her dress from the night before, and there were some clothes folded for her at the end of the massive bed.

They were clearly Aspen's. The shirt and sweats hung loosely on her body, but it was oddly comforting.

That thought made her uncomfortable. She should be freaking out, should be upset over her parents, but all she felt was a numbness that covered her all body.

It all still felt like a nightmare she was going to wake from.

Harlow decided to get out of bed and make her way out of the room. It was quite early in the morning, but someone was making a lot of noise in what she assumed was the kitchen.

"Good morning, Harlow," Aspen greeted politely. "How are you feeling?"

She hesitated. He seemed like a genuine person. Even when he was angry, he didn't seem to be out of control.

"I'm okay," she finally offered.

He gave a gentle smile, "I made bacon and eggs, if you're hungry, but I can make some else if that's not what you like."

That was kind of sweet, even she couldn't deny that. "Thank you. I'm actually quite hungry."

The silence was awkward as he plated the food. She took a seat on the stool by the island and he sat beside her.

"Am I your prisoner?" she asked finally, pushing the eggs with her fork.

"Prisoner?" he furrowed his brows. "No. Not at all. Why would you think that?"

"If I wanted to leave, you would let me?"

He thought about it for a moment before he nodded, "I'd probably follow you though. I can't be without you."

"What about your pack?"

"There are priorities in a wolf's life, Harlow. The mate is the top one."

Interesting. The entire idea she had built up in her mind of what being a soulmate was didn't seem to be true at all. Actually, Aspen seemed nicer and politer then most humans she had crossed paths with.

"What exactly am I supposed to do here? Give you pups?" It came out harsh and accusatory.

He seemed insulted by the question and she wished she could take the question back.

"I am not sure what you have been taught about wolves and mates, but it's not like that at all. I don't intend on raping you, or making you housebound or whatever other ideas you have going on in your head." He dropped his plate into the sink and left the room.

It was a bit unfair of Harlow to judge him so quickly, especially when he had only be kind to her. She could have asked him questions instead of insinuating he was a terrible person.

Aspen emerged a little while later, having showered and changed.

She opened her mouth to apologize but he held up a hand to stop her, "I have work to do. You're free to do as you please. If you have somewhere you want to go, car keys are hanging in the closet by the front door."

He slid her a box. "Here's a cell phone. It has my number in it if you need me, or if you want to call someone to come pick you up."

Harlow frowned, feeling a cluster of emotions.

Aspen didn't know how to feel when he left his mate behind knowing it could very well be the last time he saw her.

He didn't even care that she was a human, but it frustrated him that they saw werewolves as vile and destructive creatures. Harlow didn't even give him a chance, and he wasn't sure he could blame her. She did get slapped, not to mention she saw him break the official's wrist, and who knows what she had been told all of her life.

----

Harlow felt at odds with herself. She had just been given a chance at freedom, but a part of her didn't want to leave Aspen, especially with how hurt he was this morning.

Either way, she decided to call her parents to update them. At least she could do that much.

"Hello?" her mom answered and the first real tears fell from Harlow's eyes.

"Mama," she sniffled. "It's Harlow."

"Oh, baby. Are you alright? Papa and I have been so worried. We didn't think we were going to hear from you again," Mama began to cry too, and she could hear shuffling which meant Papa had probably joined her.

"I'm okay. I have a mate, he's an alpha."

Her mom gave a painful sob, "Has he hurt you?"

"No. Actually, he seems to be really nice. I might have messed up though," Harlow wiped her tears and explained all of the events.

"That doesn't seem like you, pumpkin. You always see the best in people," her dad supplied.

"I know, and now I don't know what to do. He's given me the option to come home and-"

She heard her mom sniffle slightly, "The fact that you are torn about leaving says a lot about who he is already. Papa and I understand if you want to stay, so don't you dare make a decision just for us. This could be your only opportunity at having a better life."

"But I miss you," Harlow cried again. A life without seeing her parents didn't seem to be a better life.

She didn't even hear Aspen entering the room.