Chapter 8

It had been about a month since Harlow's parents moved in. Things had been going really well.

"I've been looking for you," Harlow said to Mama who was baking and laughing in the kitchen with some of the other ladies. She looked years younger.

"What is it?" she asked. "Guess how many blueberries pies we have to make?"

Harlow giggled, "I was just wanting to visit. I can't keep up with your busy schedule. How many pies, Mama? Three?"

"Five," Mama said. "Some of the young girls are going out to pick the blueberries after they finish school. You should go."

Harlow sampled a scoop of the cookie dough one of the other ladies was mixing.

"Hmm, I don't know. I'd probably end up eating too many blueberries."

Light laughter filled the room and Harlow felt warm from their acceptance. This was her home.

----

Aspen was a dark, cursing mess when he came home.

"Aspen?" Harlow called, standing from the couch to greet her angry mate. "Woah, what happened?"

"Those fucking officials want to reduce the mating ball age to sixteen. Sixteen! They say parents or guardians will no longer have the option to hold their kids until they're twenty."

"Sixteen?" she whispered, stomach twisting. "Why would they do that?"

"Because they are sick," he spit. "You saw how that asshole treated you. He was an official. Harlow, imagine if it was our son or daughter. I wouldn't be able to let them go at sixteen."

She reached to wrap her arms around him comfortingly. Sixteen was so young. To have that hanging over their head was terrifying.

"Please tell me you won't do anything stupid."

He sighed, his anger releasing at her soothing touch. "This has been going on for far too long. I never truly realized how much fear they instill until I met you and your family. They are a corrupt set of individuals who think they hold more power than they do. Some other Alphas and I have agreed to take over."

"Take over?" she whispered. That sounded dangerous.

"It's not going to be pretty, but they are outnumbered. If I can do this for families like yours or for our children sometime down the line, then the fight will be worth it."

"I just don't want you to get hurt," Harlow mumbled.

"I know. I know, sweetheart." He cupped her cheeks, running a hand along her neck and around her shoulder.

"I want to help," she said earnestly. "And you probably need to have a plan for the backlash from the places like where I grew up."

"I didn't even think of that," he groaned. "They will probably see us as the problem when we are the ones helping."

"Or maybe not. Maybe it'll be a relief."

They stood there enjoying each other's comfort for a moment that felt way too short for the both of them.

"You're not going to fall asleep down there, are you?" Aspen teased the adorable girl who had her eyes closed on his chest.

"I might," she mumbled. "If I weren't standing up."

He pressed his lips to her forehead, "What are you wanting to do for dinner?"

She sighed, "I don't think I want to go anywhere, but my mom was working on fresh blueberry pies."

"That's tempting," he smiled. "I can always bring some back for you, baby."

"You're the best, you know that? I haven't seen Papa today so let's just go over to eat with them and the pack."

----

"Shit," Aspen cursed lowly just as he sat down to eat.

"What's wrong?" Harlow asked, glancing over his shoulder to where he was looking at his phone.

"They know what we are trying to do. I've got to go." He said it in her ear knowing that people were always listening.

"Wait, Aspen. Now? You just mentioned this to me, like, an hour ago."

"I know. Word travels fast. We're worried that they might do something to us now that the officials know. We're going to have to act now."

He stood up, giving a subtle nod to Rocco who leaned down to whisper to Lisa.

Harlow followed Aspen out of the room and into a isolated hallway.

"Do I go with you? Are you going to be okay?"

Aspen pulled her close, leaning down for a passionate kiss. "You staying will be the best thing, okay? We want to keep the pack calm because I am not entirely sure what is going to happen."

"You'll be safe, won't you Aspen? Come home in one piece?" Harlow felt tears form in her eyes. Her heart thudded painfully in her chest. It scared her that there was no plan, that he could get hurt. In such a short amount of time, what would life be without her incredible mate?

"Don't cry, sweetheart. I'll be back before you know it." He wiped away her tears. "I don't know how long I'll be gone. I'll call or text you if I can."

"I love you," she cried.

He smiled, a true one that brightened his solemn features. He kissed her fiercely. "How am I supposed to leave when you say those sweet words? I love you so much. Everything's going to be fine, you'll see."

He leaned down for one last kiss.

----

Harlow filled Mama and Papa in vaguely and decided to crash with them for the night. It was hard to know what to do or what to feel when everything was a possibility.

She huffed and flipped onto her back on her parent's plush couch. All she wanted was a text or something to let her know he was alright.

He had to be okay. He was her everything.

Was he thinking of her? Was he fighting? He said take over and by any means necessary, so how dangerous was this? How many alphas were there to back him?

Harlow's head wouldn't stop.

And then she began to really think. Is this what parent's feel like when they send their child to the ceremony?

It was a whole different perspective to be with someone who she actually wanted to have a family with. Harlow obviously knew the importance of mates, and her child would likely be wolf, but that wouldn't make sending them off easier.

There were so many thoughts running through her head that soon it was time for the sun to peek over the horizon.